Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I'm having an issue with aMSN, for some reason when I start it, it opens lots of conversation windows with people when no messages have been received. It's really ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

aMSN Problem.

Hello.

I'm having an issue with aMSN, for some reason when I start it, it opens lots of conversation windows with people when no messages have been received. It's really annoying.

Is there a way to fix this?
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

I dont know why this is, but it happens to me as well. I wasnt certain it was an error: is it possible that aMSN notices when one of your contacts opens a chat window with you, even if they then dont say anything - aMSN then opening a chat window at your end as well.

I'm quite prepared to be corrected on this - I havent tested this theory in any way. However, even if it is a deliberate feature of aMSN, I'd be pleased to learn how to turn it off.

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

I dont know if it's bad form to go back to a thread this long after it's last been posted to, but I think I've found an explanation. According to the aMSN forums, that was a deliberate feature, so that you knew when someone was opening a window to potentially talk to you. However:
    Quote Originally Posted by kakaroto
    now everyone switched to MSN 7.5 and MSN 7.5 downloads automatically your display picture (which needs a connection to be created), so when you get online, all your contacts 'open' a chat window with you, but in reality, they didn't, it's just MSN who did it behind the scenes to get your display picture
    Because of this the feature has been disabled as of version 0.95 (just out, and very sleek )

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027