Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, I'm using Suse 9.1 Pro. I want to run Wine so that I can see if a few things work through it, namely Microsoft Office, but I can't seem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine

Alright, I'm using Suse 9.1 Pro. I want to run Wine so that I can see if a few things work through it, namely Microsoft Office, but I can't seem to find the program. Any help anyone?

Linux Engineer
    Why would you need that with OpenOffice 2 beta?

Assuming you don't want to use OpenOffice, you can probably find Wine through Yast. If it is installed, try:
    Code:
    wine <program name>
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Newbie
    What program you aren't able to find?
    If wine: the homepage is here: www.winehq.com
    If M$ Office: Have you properly configured the wine? After you have it configured and you have Office installed, run it as bryansmith has already written.

Frank's Corner is the place to go, has some details on installing office products. I recommend getting Winetools and the preconfigured wine directory from frankscorner. Don't forget to get DCOM98 through winetools so that installshield can run for other programs...

Linux Newbie
    If you want to shell out a few dollars, codeweavers.com has crossover office and it's known to work with some of the versions of office. You can check their database against it for compatibility.
    Register Linux User #388393

I would openoffice too. It has everything M$ office has and is even compatible with office. For example I write papers in OO and then save in .doc format and e-mail to professors and no problem. Or I can open excel spread sheets and the like just fine even powerpoint too. Wine is still buggy and probably will cause more problems then its worth for a program that has a very good linux counterpart. imho.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    I would openoffice too. It has everything M$ office has and is even compatible with office. For example I write papers in OO and then save in .doc format and e-mail to professors and no problem. Or I can open excel spread sheets and the like just fine even powerpoint too. Wine is still buggy and probably will cause more problems then its worth for a program that has a very good linux counterpart. imho.
    Well said my friend. I actually use it on the windows side too.
    Register Linux User #388393

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon8
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    Well said my friend. I actually use it on the windows side too.
    openoffice is a very good program and it was written to be a free alternative to ms office. the team has done a very good job and i use it all the time with no problem. simply put running ms office in wine would not make any sence because open office can do all the same things and more. i would download the latest from the offical site here.

Linux Engineer
    The main reason to use koffice and abiword instead of OOo2 beta is that they seem to start a bit quicker... About a half minute quicker on my box, less if openoffice quickstarter is running offcourse. However, OOo is the most feature-rich of them. Luckily, the last version of ms office ever running on this box was office 2000