Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Alright after fighting with some very annoying pieces of imcompatibility I'm stuck at a cross roads. The choice wether to use the 64bit version of Ubuntu or the 32bit one. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Ubuntu 64Bit

Alright after fighting with some very annoying pieces of imcompatibility I'm stuck at a cross roads. The choice wether to use the 64bit version of Ubuntu or the 32bit one. I have the 64bit version installed and configured now but I'm running into major problems, the biggest and most annoying two would be Flash Player and Java. Neither of these seem to want to work on a 64bit system and they aren't the only ones.

I wanted to know how many of you out there have decided to roll your system back to the 32bit version and how many stuck with the 64bit (doesn't have to be Ubuntu specific, any 64bit build will do) What are the benifits and losses and basically what should I do? Should I go back to something that works 100% with no issues or should I stay the way I am now and use my entire processor?

I've rolled back my OSes to 32-bit for the time being. In my opinion, there's just no real benefit to using 64-bit, yet. There will be, and having a 64-bit capable CPU ensures once it happens we'll be ready to take full advantage, but at the moment my 32-bit distros are running just fine and I can still use my install CDs on friends' computers.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I did as well. At the moment there are no real benefits of using the 64 bit install, just loads and loads of extra work to get and find different packages and the likes. Trust me, to finally have everything working again is so much better than to annoy yerself over every little bit that goes wrong.

In time 64 bit will have better support for things, but that time is not now.

Linux Newbie
    32 bit apps should still work in the 64 bit OS's. I'm debating on just uninstalling Firefox and installing the 32bit version instead.
    Register Linux User #388393

Just Joined!
    More trouble than it's worth, I say again :P

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by skela
    More trouble than it's worth, I say again :P

Kind of the thought I had. Which is why I'm now happily using the 32-bit edition of Ubuntu

Just Joined!
    what's the easiest way to roll back Kubuntu or ubuntu to 32bit?

Linux Newbie
    Wipe the hard drive and start over

I actually think that's the only way

Just Joined!
    well damn, that sucks. . . at least i haven't had linux for a very long time. . . that = no loss. lol

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by x__dark
    well damn, that sucks. . . at least i haven't had linux for a very long time. . . that = no loss. lol
    Well, think of it this way. It usually doesn't take long to install Linux.
    Register Linux User #388393

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast