Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I am new to Linux and learning fast. I need major help though for my work. I need to be able to use active X because the plug ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie Needs help with browsers

Hello all,

I am new to Linux and learning fast. I need major help though for my work. I need to be able to use active X because the plug in for Citrix ICA is not working with my works website and Mozilla or Firefox. They both act as if it is not there. So, I need to get active X working some way and it needs to have pop ups working, as it does send one. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
    Andrew

If I understand correctly, ActiveX is Windows-only/IE only, because it's basically just a means of running Windows programs directly off the internet (and thus it's a great security risk if not configured right). In other words, the website sends you a Windows program, and ActiveX runs it directly in the web page. So it won't work on Linux. You could try running IE in Wine (Windows Emulator), but that might not work. Also I think it's only legal if you're legally allowed to use IE... meaning you have a Windows license. If that doesn't work, you could dual-boot... but that's such a hassle, and again, you need Windows.

It should be pointed out that any legitimate use for ActiveX can as far as I know be implemented by other, more standard means. Though if it's for you're work I guess you don't have much choice in the matter.

There exists an ActiveX Plugin for Mozilla Browser:

http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, this requires Windows, so you'll need to use a program like Wine to intsall Mozilla, and run it through Wine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    There exists an ActiveX Plugin for Mozilla Browser:

http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, this requires Windows, so you'll need to use a program like Wine to intsall Mozilla, and run it through Wine.
    to my knowledge firefox won't run under wine. i've tried it before and activex controls don't work properly under wine as wine usually crashes when trying to load most activex objects. this is when vmware comes in handy. also you could try this as i think it can run windows also.