Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Xandros on my computer last night and have been trying to figure out how to install and use programs I download. Programs such as xchat, gaim, or anything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to use programs on Linux?

I installed Xandros on my computer last night and have been trying to figure out how to install and use programs I download. Programs such as xchat, gaim, or anything pretty much. I ./configure, make, then make install, and after that I don't know what to do. For gaim it told me to get the latest GTK, which also meant I needed glib, atk, pango, etc. I got all of that installed and it told me I should uninstall the old glib, how do I do this? For amsn all I have to do it type 'amsn' to start it but with xchat it doesn't work that way, hopefully someone can tell me how to install and run programs? Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    apt-get -y install gaim xchat

I'm pretty sure Xandros has apt since it is Debian-based. Always use a distro's native package manager when you can, it will save a helluva a lot of time and headaches.

Just Joined!
    I got this:

# apt-get -y install gaim xchat
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    gaim is already the newest version.
    E: Couldn't find package xchat

What is "apt" and how do I run a program, like gaim after its installed? I tried just typing 'gaim, and got:

# gaim
    bash: gaim: command not found

I appreciate the quick response.

Just Joined!
    I got it figured out, I read the hot-to install tutorial, I didn't notice it before I posted here, so sorry for the un-needed thread. Thanks for the help without slamming me for making an un-needed thread also.