Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a question regarding Gaim. When you are using the regular AIM client, other users can see smiley you send them with the appropriate “theme” (like when you send ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gaim

I have a question regarding Gaim. When you are using the regular AIM client, other users can see smiley you send them with the appropriate “theme” (like when you send a smile from http://www.runabot.com/smile.html, they will see the same image you see). It doesn’t work like this on Gaim. Is there any way to see smiles as they are being sent by regular AIM users and/or be able to have regular AIM users see Gaim smile themes?

Thanks.

To enable smilies, Open up gaim and go te `Preferences`, and here go to Interface -> Conversations -> Smiley themes and it'll give a list of the available smiley themes.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

yes, but...

Well, I know how to do that, but when I send one of those smilies to my friends, they just see the regular AIM default ones and not the ones selected in Gaim. Is there any way to send these smilies so that my friends will see the same smilies I am seeing?

Thanks

afaik, it's the IM client that `translates` the : and ) into , and thus it's not linked to what the sender sees as : and ). I know this to be different on official clients, but I don't know, nor do I think this is available in third party ones e.g. gaim or knoquorer. you might want to check out different clients to see if they suport this feature, but I doubte it.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

To answer the question, no, this cannot be done with Gaim. There is an AIM client for Linux (available from the AIM site) that likely supports this feature, however.

Just Joined!

Thank you

Thanks for the help guys. I'll try the official client and see what happens.

Just Joined!
    make a custom theme...you also must direct connect for this, and then you can only use the ones supported by AIM i.e. , ...for all others just send them a picture...while direct connected