Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
If you like a "pretty" interface, linux can do that easy. I personally love the way I have gnome setup(blue/silver theme ). At my old job, our webteam ran linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

If you like a "pretty" interface, linux can do that easy. I personally love the way I have gnome setup(blue/silver theme ). At my old job, our webteam ran linux only except for 1 machine which was used to do flash. Most of the sites were done in php or used quanta. All of our graphics were done with gimp. I think linux is a great solution for web development except if you need to use flash. So in your case, I would just stick to windows until you can do flash in linux. Or you can dual boot and only use windows to create the flash which might be a hassle. I think linux is far superiour platform to develop on then windows. So many more tools at your disposal and they are all free. I do all my development in pico and I doubt I will ever change. Unless a nice perl ide comes out, then I might think of switching.

http://home.infostations.net/genlee/ss1.png <- a screenshot of my desktop if you are curious as to what you can do with linux gui.

Just Joined!

distribution?

Crap, I accidently posted this in a new topic. Ignore that one!!! Sorry!

Anyway, this is what I posted:

I just realized how caustic my last message I sent was... for that I'm sorry. Now, my question becomes, which distribution is good? I tried Mandrake 8, and had difficulty getting my digital speakers to work with it (I may have found a fix for that, but it's not a huge problem anyway), and also had some dual-boot problems. I have not tried Red Hat. That screen shot you showed me looks awesome genlee, is that Mandrake or Red Hat?

Any suggestions about distribution? I really want to make this work, because you are all right, Linux is an incredibly powerful system, and I love having all that power at my fingertips. Plus, I guess I should have mentioned this earlier: Flash is not my number one priority. I see that GIMP looks like a great image editing program, and Quanta looks great for development, so those should suffice. We shall see.

Anyway, distribution is now my question here... Mandrak, Red Hat, or one I haven't heard of the blows the others away?

Respectfully,
    Gene

Linux Engineer
    I am using gentoo. http://www.gentoo.org It is a complete source based distro meaning there isn't any binary package system. There is a portage system which mimics bsd. Its very easy to maintain as well. I like gentoo a lot because I built my distro exactly how I wanted it. It is far less bloated they say mandrake or redhat and when new source is released, I don;t have to wait for anyone to package it to install it.

Linux User
    i think we are all a little quick to convert him, even genlee admitted they had one windows machine for flash.

If he is really a flash person, we won't chang that by giving him linux
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Enthusiast
    There aren't any flash editors for linux that I know of. There was something interesting I saw a while ago though, it was libming or something like that. Look for ming on the internet, and what it does is makes a C library for creating flash videos. You can write mathematical formulae in C to describe a video, and then convert it into an swf. Really cool stuff my friend.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    If you're somewhat confident in using a computer,
    linux is only superior in every possible way.
    I would have to disagree with that assertion.
    Linux is great, I would agree. I have used it
    at home (purely, no Windows) for > 4 years.
    But I would not call it superior in every way.
    Actually, my next PC is going to be an iBook.

Linux Guru
    Well, I can't think of a way that linux is inferior if you do know your way around a computer. But maybe that's just me? If anything it would be if you need to run some program that only exists on Windows.

Linux Engineer
    Windows problems are easier to fix, you just reboot

Linux Guru
    Oh, god! Don't begin with fixing problems in Windows!
    At one of my side jobs at a local school, there was a problem with IIS, with an IDC-based page. It was simply impossible to fix (I still haven't done it)! The error you get is "internal server error", and that's it! No debugging info whatsoever, nothing in the logs, there's no [sl]trace, the debugger costs like $1k and even then you don't have the source for IIS, so you'll have to begin by reverse-engineering it! (And, no, rebooting didn't help... =) )
    It's really a pity... They have this incredible Dell box with three redundant power supplies and hardware RAID and all sorts of fancy stuff. It's almost fault tolerant. And then they run Windows on it! When I was there last time, their uptime was nine days! Nine days! The uptime on my -96 Compaq Presario (NOT fault tolerant), is 67 days right now.
    I can't talk about Windows, it just gets me into a bad mood.

Linux Engineer
    Before we switched the office server over to gentoo, it used to drop routes randomly if it was up to long. So we had to reboot the server every 2-3 weeks or people in the office would get their connection dropped at random times. NAT/DHCP isn't a good idea to run on window adv server. Though MS is bragging about a 6 month uptime they got with windows 2003

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast