Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
If you want the webdesign crap.....since I hate windows...... Get a mac g4 titanium.......very nice...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    rh7
    Just Joined!

If you want the webdesign crap.....since I hate windows...... Get a mac g4 titanium.......very nice

Banned
    Apple needs to port Mac OS X to the x86 platform.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by thehemi
    Apple needs to port Mac OS X to the x86 platform.
    I don't see apple ever porting OSX to x86. There is a chance they could lose some sales of their hardware if people were to buy x86 with OSX instead of apples. Apple is a hardware company and they can't afford to lose those sales. If you really want to use it, just install freebsd and use one of the 1000 OSX themes for X. I think darwin does run on the x86 now but it is very limited. Probably not even worthwhile trying.

Just Joined!
    Sorry to bring this old topic back up, but it was interesting reading I have to admit a few years ago before I learned linux. I just got cable and needed a router to set up my other computers so they all can get online. So while I was learning linux I setup an old 486 up with a clean install of windows 98. Had nothing open at all except for Litestep, (which is a replacement shell, didn't want explorer which is a major memory hog), and the winroute lite software. With that "router" working, I had an uptime of roughly 90 days, then one day Internet stopped working, go upstairs to the "router" the good ol' blue screen of death

Personally I feel each tool has it's best OS, or in some cases it's best toy, but linux has a lot of good tools for everyday use. Linux right now is my preferred OS, now that I don't rely on windows software for my school work, it is going very well agian. Got pretty tired of duel booting personally.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by genlee
    I wonder how they come up with those stats. But I also read that most stats are no where close to being accurate.
    Check out Http://counter.li.org

There, everybody who runs GNU\Linux should sign up. I know, i did

Just Joined!
    Would it be possible to use Wine to run the Windows based website development programs(especially those that are required for flash). I know Wine is technically still in development stage, but I know its been used for a lot of Windows programs sucessfully so far.

Linux Engineer
    You can try but it could get very sluggish.

Ed
    Just Joined!
    I designed a site using Linux that looked absolutely beautiful, then I looked at it in Windows. It sucked. When I need to make a site or play a game, I do it on Windows. Everything else goes to Linux.

Linux Guru
    It's not more than right... that balances for ll the sites that don't work in mozilla... grrr

Ed
    Just Joined!
    That's a good point, but as long as the majority of people have Windows, that's what I have to design sites for. =\

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast