Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
I am interested in Using the freeBSD (Latest build) Unix operating system for it's stablility and virtually virus free environment....But I also would like to have an OSX theme with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Free BSD with an OSX theme

I am interested in Using the freeBSD (Latest build) Unix operating system for it's stablility and virtually virus free environment....But I also would like to have an OSX theme with FreeBSD...I have read several articles, which have been very inspiring yet not clear as to how to do this painlessly....Can anyone help me here?

Just Joined!
    Regarding webdesign and the original question here .. i'm a web developer too:

There is no way to use Flash on Linux, unless you want to use WINE or VMWare emulators (I have seen a screenshot of Flash being used under WINE on their site) - but I don't think this is near practical for any serious use of Flash.

However for almost every thing else there are counterparts in Linux to Windows that equal or exceed the commercial versions.

Dreamweaver's counterpart is N|vu - to be fair Dreamweaver is still a lot better, but this is a very new effort.
    Graphics is obviously done by the Gimp as everyone and their mother knows
    PHP/ any kind of scripting, Linux obviously excels

I've been doing real web design work for a while now, and I'm more or less completely switched over to Linux.

I should like to make a comment about the Flash hating: certainly a lot of Flash is done badly, but the web is very rapidly moving away from that and new design standards are emerging that allow the medium to be exploited fully.

I notice that a lot of *hardcore* users have this disdain for flash ("real men don't need flash. real men use notepad to code up everything!"). Well gee, the medium is (a big part of) the message, and if it were not then why aren't we still using Lynx?

I installed the flash player plugin to my web browser and it worked. I think that abussive use of flash is what kills it's advantages. You shouldn't build an entire web site using flash, it looks nice, though the main issue of a web page is to display usefull, entertaining info. Additional gadgets to make it look professional or fun, should be left as secondary. Plus, like some mentioned, it subtracts some things like loading time.

Hi everyone!! :P

I've read some articles on Quanta and i came up with some idea. And i wanted to review it with you guys to see if i understood correctly or if i am a complete idiot. Jejeje.

1. Web development
    2. What languages can you use in Quanta: only html, or can you write in using php, perl, etc...
    3. Template creation and template using: i guess you can get templates and ideas and suggestions in there.

Am i like lost here?

Just Joined!
    Flash on Linux..
    http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-...15/091893.html

I also saw some offerings on the Linux/Windows app comparison site. I didn't check the above link thoroughly at all.

As for the original topic from last February --

I also switched to Linux for the sole purpose of running LAMP. I cannot stress how cool it is to build the site on my box, then upload a finished product. All I ever have todo is change one config file (if I build the site using mambo) or nothing if I build it with html.

In another post somebody wrote that at the end of the day all you need is a text editor and an ftp proggy -- how so right.

I leave the flash issue alone -- many people like eye-candy. But using Firefox, I am able to Ad-Block flash, and I usually do.

ALso -- for you folks building sites with flash, esp index pages and exclusive flash sites -- have you checked your raw logs -- don't see any spiders do you -- spiders cannot crawl flash -- when you build a site do you dump it on your customer's lap and then say -- OK now you market it?

Any kid can design a flash site, post it to the web, charge some shmuck customer 50 or 200 bucks and be done. How long did it take you...3 hours? Hell, my 6 year old can design flash sites. You kids keep using dreamweaver and flash and all that other crap -- me, I'll keep getting my customers marketed the easy way -- I'll see you holding the door in the unemployment line.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaa hahahah ahha ahahszahs ahsakj;duo;i vhmnkspr

I just started on a website using quanta. It's really like having a small version of dreamweaver, which got used to for over 6 months. I wouldn't go back. I also use some tools that come with mandrake to edit icons and stuff. So actually i got everything i need.

If things were a bit easier on windows, i would still not go back to it. I'd rather stay here in linux and type for a little while.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by theaddict
    and if it were not then why aren't we still using Lynx?
    haha, I still do sometimes, but that's only when I'm ssh'ed into my university's boxen, and I don't have X running...

Just Joined!
    Hey,
    I havent read this whole thread but...
    has anybody bothered to mention WIne and Cedega (WineX)?
    Both can run all of the macromedia programs inside of linux (most distros, anyways).
    So if you ABSOLUTLY CANT SAY GOODBYE TO WINDOWS BUT REALLY REALLY WANT THE CONRTOL OF LINUX.... reasearch Wine.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by theaddict
    There is no way to use Flash on Linux, unless you want to use WINE or VMWare emulators (I have seen a screenshot of Flash being used under WINE on their site) - but I don't think this is near practical for any serious use of Flash.

as for the flash hating posts... as with most things in life, success comes to those who do not dismiss things wholesale but learn to embrace them for their strengths. That comment about "seeing you at the unemployment office" was pretty bigoted. Flash can certainly be used expressively and powerfully if done properly (especially as users start to move to broadband, and developers start to move to lightweight flash elements based design), provided someone competent uses it

Just Joined!
    Sorry for the double post ... but

I have attempted to use NVu recently for serious web design work, and I would like to withdraw my comment about it being a replacement for Dreamweaver,

It is still very very raw, and apart from just seriously lacking general usability, it also has software glitches like randomly not saving my documents and so on.

This is understandable since it's developed by ONE person compared to the team of working on DW, but the program is still too immature to be used for serious work.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast