Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Hey everyone, I'm a newcomer to these forums, and actually do not currently own an installation of Linux. I am considering purchasing and installing a distribution, but I have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Web Site Design Using Linux

Hey everyone,

I'm a newcomer to these forums, and actually do not currently own an installation of Linux. I am considering purchasing and installing a distribution, but I have a few concerns first.

I develop websites, and plan on doing so for a living. I have found Macromedia's products, Dreamweaver and Flash, and Adobe Photoshop to be extremely useful tools for creating my websites. I realize that these companies don't offer versions of their programs for Linux, so what I'm wondering is, should I stick with Windows XP (which works well, but is a memory hog, therefore slowing me down immensely), or are there other options out there for creating dynamic and pleasing websites, using Linux? The main thing that attracts me to Linux, is the wide availability of development tools, and the multiple desktops (with fast switching capability - my current vid card allows multiple desktops, but it takes forever to switch between them in XP)

So, if anyone has suggestions, as to whether I should just stick with what I have (and maybe get more memory), or switch to Linux. Or should I go with Mac? (an option that is excluded at this point due to funds)

A newbie,
    Gene

Linux Enthusiast
    from what I have seen, Linux is _not_ the way to go for dynamic website creation. But then again, I am one to believe that flash on a website is crap. Why do you need that? Really just in case you need to showcase the fact that you can use flash? That is all it shows. It doesn't make the user interface any friendlier. It doesn't make the web page load faster (duh). The only thing it has working on it's side is making it pretty. If I wanted pretty I would go to an art museum. If I want information I will go to the internet.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Engineer
    Check out quanta

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    What reason could you possible have _not_ to switch to linux? If you're somewhat confident in using a computer, linux is only superior in every possible way. At least that's the way I can see it.

Just Joined!

in reply

Thanks for the replies...

wassy, thanks for your take on the issue, but to me, Flash is important. As it grows more and more functional, it can make the interface more usable. Granted, its primary use is eye candy, but that's the beauty of the internet. You can make it both appealing and informative at the same time. Anyway, thanks for your opinion as well.

I did check out quanta, and it looks interesting, anyone else have more information on this?

Dolda, thanks for the info, but that doesn't really help... I've tried linux as a dual-boot on my computer before (Mandrake , and I had a lot of problems with it, though the amount of control it gave me was quite nice. I would like a nice balance between the amount of control, and the features available. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
    Gene

Linux Guru
    Well, any unix does offer a lot more features than any windows, so I'm not quite sure what you mean.
    I must agree with wassy, though. Every time I enter a flash site, I just think "why?!". It takes longer to load, takes more resources, it's basically just eyecandy, and it disables every chance of viewing it with lynx.
    (Side note: I would never dream of doing development with anything but emacs =) )

Linux Guru
    And the beauty of the internet is NOT pretty stuff! The beauty with the internet is standardized platform independent protocols. (ie. not flash)

Linux User
    not to join the wagon here, but lets clear something up

flash has it's place, but 99% of the flash on the net is not done correctly - i mean my employer wet through all this time/money to make this fancy flash navigation bar that was incredibly awesome looking, a month later they took it down because of the number of complaints from people who couldn't find a da*n thing.

So flash looks great and can have a positive impact on some sites, but it's like explosives - to much of it can be a real problem.
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!

whoa

Ok, granted, a lot of flash can be annoying. I think you are misunderstanding me here. majorwoo is right - most of what's out there isn't done correctly. If it's done correctly, it shouldn't take too much longer to load than a regular website with images. Sometimes, information is not simply textual, it can be visual as well, and that's where flash excels: it eases the process of visual communication, with less misunderstanding. Again, I don't believe all sites should be entirely flash, that's just ridiculous - but it DOES have its place, that's all I want to get across here. Everything in moderation, to use the old cliche.

Alright, I'll admit I like the 'pretty' interface of windows, and I am a very visual person (hence my obsession with flash ). So, maybe I should just stick with it, because it seems you people aren't really being much help. You're just out to laud the wonders of Linux, without telling me anything useful (except maybe wassy, who was actually willing to admit that Linux may not be the answer -thanks)

Now, if you have some constructive suggestions, I'll hear them. If not, I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

Cheers,
    Gene

Linux Guru
    It all comes down to what you want to do. If all you ever want to do is designing web sites, I guess you should simply choose the system that hosts the program you like the most.
    However, if you want a system that's customizable in itself, choose linux. Sure, linux isn't necessarily very pretty, but that's kind of the point, too. It's supposed to be functional, not pretty.
    It is very, very probable that linux will make you more effective if you learn it properly. If you don't learn it properly, it's probable that you'll be more effective in windows. There is a very high probability that learning linux properly will take more of your time than designing web sites will, if you get too deep in it. =)

As for flash; sure, it does have its place, but not in informative sites. A purely informative site should be as portable as possible as I see it, and if you use flash you immediately rule out a number of targets, such as lynx.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast