Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have some problems that I would like some help on: I would probably still be classed as new to linux. I have had it for about 2 years and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Some help plx with SuSE 8.2

I have some problems that I would like some help on:

I would probably still be classed as new to linux. I have had it for about 2 years and been slowly learnin on it. I basically now use it as my everyday OS on my comp, but sometimes switch back to windows for games. I am using SuSE Linux 8.2 btw.

1. LIRC

How the hell do you get this to work? I have been tryin to make sense of the docs and i cant. My TV card is detected and working properly, its a bt818 chipset from memory. The remote works under windows.

2. Sensors

This program reads the temp sensors on the motherboard rite? i have looked at lm_sensors website and found dat my board, MSI KT4V and the chipset on it is supported but I cant get it to work, it just says no sensors found.

3. Winex3 Battlefield 1942

I know this is the winex3 forum, but i got the cvs version and the game crashes when I try to run it with sound. it gets the the EA GAMES logo and just repeats the sound for 20mins and neva stops. If i play music with xmms and run the game, it loads and runs perfectly, but with no sound.

4. Can more than program use the sound?

I have a C-Media PCI sound card, like under windows I can play music, and hear messages n etc coming through from msn and etc. If i play music from xmms and have message come through from AMSN (http://amsn.sourceforge.net, quite good msn clone) I dont hear the sound, although if i stop xmms, and a message comes through, i hear the sound.

5. Cpu usage

if I do a ps -e, I can see multiple processes of one thing being done, like if i open xmms once, i can see xmms 5 times. I can always see heaps of kdeinit and nscd. Is this normal? if not, how do I fix it? bcuz the longer I seem to leave linux running , the slower if gets it seems because of all these processes, normally a restart fixes the above.

Any help on the above would be really nice. If you need any extra info, let me know, ill get it if I can.
    :o

Linux Guru
    1. How have you installed LIRC? From an RPM or from source?
    I think LIRC should be installed from source. It allows for much more settings and tuning than the RPM does.
    Anyhow, have you tried running irrecord?

2. Have you run sensors-detect?

3. Neither wine nor winex are perfect, and some programs simply won't run in it. There really isn't much to do about it, unfortunately, except bug M$ to release full API specifications (good luck).

4. Do you know if this card supports multiple hardware streams? I don't know how Winbloze does these things these days, but I'm guessing that it has some sort of software sound multiplexing. In Linux, there are two dominant programs for sound multiplexing: esound and arts. XMMS has plugins for both, GNOME uses esound and KDE uses arts. Some programs use libao for sound output, and it in turn has plugins for both, but you might have to configure it. I don't know which one amsn uses, though.

5. Yes, those multiple instances are different threads. In the newer implementations, you only see the "mother" process, as POSIX dictates that it should be, but they're still there. Don't worry, though, all of them share the same memory. kdeinit is another thing; all KDE processes rename themselves the kdeinit. I don't know why and it's one of the many reasons that I don't like KDE.

Just Joined!
    1. LIRC was installed from the SuSE cd's so rpm. Ill download the source and give that a try as well, my main problem is how the hell do you configure it as well, but hopefullt the source will have sum help in it.

2. I didnt know there was sensors-detect. i knew there was sensors. Ill try that lata on tonite

4. I will try and find out bout multiple hardware streams

Linux Guru
    Basically, irrecord is the program to configure it. It asks you to press some buttons on your remote and checks out how it works, and then it records all the buttons and places it all in the config file.

The LIRC source comes with a couple of ready-made config files for well known remotes, though. Check them out before you do anything else.

Just Joined!
    I stoped using my PCI sound card and used my onboard for a little while. I can play xmms and play Battlefield at the same time now. so either the driver or the card for my PCI card doesnt like mutlitple programs i guess.

I cant get irrecord to work. I dont know how. I deleted the lirc rpm and installed from source. my TV card is a TView99 (CPH063)