Find the answer to your Linux question:
After system beeps, I am not able to play audio for 60 seconds. MPlayer gives me the following when I attempt to play music within a minute of beep: Code: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

System beep occupies sound card for 60 seconds

After system beeps, I am not able to play audio for 60 seconds. MPlayer gives me the following when I attempt to play music within a minute of beep:
    Code:
    audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
    alsa-init: got device=0, subdevice=0
    alsa-init: 1 soundcard found, using: default
    The card may not be occupied for 60 seconds, maybe that is the "attempt period" of ALSA or my music players?

I thought about aliasing mplayer with something like
    Code:
    pkill -x <somthing blocking sound> & mplayer
    but I don't know what to kill and there is probably a better solution. Any suggestions would be great.

Linux Engineer
    Which DE are you using? It's probably arts (kde) or esound (gnome) taking over the sound device, this can either be solved with turning down the time before arts deactivates itself in kcontrol (kde), or using dmix. This page seems to explain dmix well:
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_so...he_dmix_device

if not, try googling it

Just Joined!
    Thanks Jaboua. I use IceWM, but I'll run KDE to see if arts takes over after beeps and for how long. It's possible that arts could also be the problem in IceWM right (Gnome isn't installed)? Your link was pretty dense, but I'll work through it. I'll post anything I find.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    If you run a KDE app which beeps, then aRts would usually take over, no matter which de/wm you are using.

Just Joined!

resolved

I generally got the beeps while working in Konsole. I took a couple measures based on your suggestions and it is now fixed. This is what I did:

1) Started KDE to get its all-in-one configuration interface. Under "Sound" in "Sound System" under the "Hardware" tab, I selected OSS rather than ALSA for the sound system (I read this suggestion somewhere, but otherwise had no basis for this choice). Under the "General" tab, I minimized the "Auto-Suspend" time (1 sec., I didn't bother with 0 sec. because it sounds like a crash request). Alsamixer still works for controlling the various volumes.

2) I switched to Eterm -- it hasn't given me a single beep (e.g. from tabbing to complete a file name that isn't there).

Konsole still beeps, but it only usurps the sound system for 1 second.