Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi folks, On running following command; # mkisofs -o cdimage.raw -Joliet-long /path/to/DirectoryA /path/to/DirectoryB /path/to/DirectoryC etc. What flag must be up to retain files/subdirectories in their respective directories instead of mixing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

mkisofs - flag question

Hi folks,

On running following command;
    # mkisofs -o cdimage.raw -Joliet-long /path/to/DirectoryA /path/to/DirectoryB /path/to/DirectoryC etc.

What flag must be up to retain files/subdirectories in their respective directories instead of mixing all into one directory?

TIA

BR
    satimis

Linux Newbie
    Mmm... been a long time since I used my CD-RW drive in Linux...
    IIRC, you must use the -r option like this
    mkisofs -o cdimage.raw -Joliet-long -r /path/to/DirectoryA /path/to/DirectoryB /path/to/DirectoryC

Linux Guru
    Hi darklordsatan,

Tks for your advice.

mkisofs -o cdimage.raw -Joliet-long -r /path/to/DirectoryA /path/to/DirectoryB /path/to/DirectoryC
    Sorry, still mixing all files. Directories not retained.

BR
    satimis

Linux Newbie
    Well, I checked a little program I made some time ago to burn multisession discs, non-multisession, bla bla bla. And this is what I used

Code:
    mkisofs -o cdimage.raw -J -iso-level=3 -r /path/to/DirectoryA /path/to/DirectoryB /path/to/DirectoryC
    But actually, now that I remember, I think if you include a directory like this
    Code:
    /path/to/DirectoryA
    Then it wont burn the directory but all the files inside, which is why I usually made a "dummy" folder, and put all I needed to burn (including other folder) inside it.

Linux Guru
    Hi darklordsatan,

Tks for your further advice.

Then it wont burn the directory but all the files inside, which is why I usually made a "dummy" folder, and put all I needed to burn (including other folder) inside it.
    "graft-points" serves my purpose. But it needs additional typing for name of directories/subdirectories, etc. I'm searching whether there is a flag to save me from additional typing.

BR
    satimis

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by satimis
    "graft-points" serves my purpose.
    Ahhhhh!!! Indeed. I forgot about that one.
    If you wanna save some time typing, why dontcha make a script like I did? Its way easier.

Linux Guru
    Hi darklordsatan,

If you wanna save some time typing, why dontcha make a script like I did? Its way easier.
    Yes, you are right. I have a script for that purpose about 1~2 year ago, burning on fly. It asks for entering the directories to be burned. I wonder whether cdrecord/mkisofs has added this flag now.

BR
    satimis

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by satimis
    I wonder whether cdrecord/mkisofs has added this flag now.
    Yes it does. IIRC, you need to enter something like this

Code:
    mkisofs -graft-points -o cdimage.raw -J -iso-level=3 -r cdromfolder=/path/to/DirectoryA
    I might be wrong though.

Linux Guru
    Hi darklordsatan,

Code:
    mkisofs -graft-points -o cdimage.raw -J -iso-level=3 -r cdromfolder=/path/to/DirectoryA
    How about other directories;
    /path/to/DirectoryB
    /path/to/DirectoryC
    etc.

satimis

Linux Newbie
    You just append them with no trouble
    Code:
    mkisofs -graft-points -o cdimage.raw -J -iso-level=3 -r stuff/downloads=/path/to/DirectoryA apps/rpms=/path/to/DirectoryB foo/bar=/path/to/DirectoryC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast