Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I would like to install the latest version of the GIMP 2.2 on JDS (java desktop system). The prereqs for building the GIMP are, of course, gtk+ and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing GIMP, the prereqs...

Hey everyone,

I would like to install the latest version of the GIMP 2.2 on JDS (java desktop system). The prereqs for building the GIMP are, of course, gtk+ and it's dependents (glib, atk, pango). I've downloaded all the latest source of gtk(2.8.6), glib (2.8.3), atk(1.10.1), and pango(1.10.1) and am starting to run into problems. My current configuration already has gtk+2 version 2.2.2, glib 2.2.2, atk 1.2.1, and pango 1.2.3. I can run, for glib, ./configure, make, and make install with success, but when I go to atk ./configure it comes back with an error
    "'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.8.3, but GLIB (2.2.2)
    *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
    *** to remove the old version of GLib."

So obviously I need to remove glib 2.2.2. My question is how can I do this safely? Numerous programs rely on glib 2.2.2 (including gtk+) so if I remove glib 2.2.2 (going through yast2) won't this mess up all everything else, including gtk+, which GNOME also relies on? Furthermore, I would have the same issue when trying to unintsall gtk+ and then install the newer version. Will the programs that relied on the older versions of these packages recognize the replacements?

Not sure if this is the appropraite are for this to be posted so redirectly me if necessary.

Also, I'm open to installing a newer, more up to date distro of linux if that will make my life a lot easier.

Cheers,

Chris

I assume you're using SuSE?

Why not just install GIMP through YaST? That is always the safest way to do stuff.

I do recognize that some packages in YaST are very outdated, which can be a problem. Not really sure what to tell ya...but maybe updating everything that you can from YaST would help?

Just Joined!
    JDS is Suse based (8.4 I think?). I've attempted to use yast2 to update my packages (right click package, go to update, click accept), but it always ask for my JDS CDs, which will only have the same version of the package that already exists. This is why I suspect moving to a newer and better supported distro would be wise?

Chris

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by cgat
    JDS is Suse based (8.4 I think?). I've attempted to use yast2 to update my packages (right click package, go to update, click accept), but it always ask for my JDS CDs, which will only have the same version of the package that already exists. This is why I suspect moving to a newer and better supported distro would be wise?

Chris
    I would have moved.

However, instead of compiling, see if you can use some newer suse respiratories in yast/apt-get?