Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok I am having the hardest time getting a gui up for my debian linux... im stuck in the command prompt. I put in apt-get install gdm (im using net ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help getting gui up

ok I am having the hardest time getting a gui up for my debian linux... im stuck in the command prompt. I put in apt-get install gdm (im using net install)

and when it get finished dling it i get to the point where its says its failed to find some archives on the source im using, same with the kde. I've been trying just about everything to get a gui up for my debian but its proving to be futile. Anything I'm missing or is it that my net install source is limited and im screwed? or am I typing something in wrong? Please help

Main focus : getting a gui up for my debian linux

thanks

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...tml&highlight=
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...tml&highlight=

Don't you think that three identical posts on the same topic is a little much??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    no because even you didnt answer the question and its very important to get some help from someone who doesnt flame. thanks tho

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by djtravtrav
    no because even you didnt answer the question and its very important to get some help from someone who doesnt flame. thanks tho
    I apologise.

It sounds kinda like the source you're using doesn't have everything you need to get kde/gnome up and running. Google around for a few more net-sources and see if that helps. (of course I'm assuming apt-get works like yast, and you need to specify a list of installation sources beforehand.)

In my experience of this forum, the people here are extremely helpful, so there is rarely a need to double or triple post the same message within 10 mins.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    thank you very much, yes I have seen the help, it is nice.

how do I change my host list for debian then, i chose it during the net install of the os. how do I access that list again and try something else?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    I apologise.
    Yep, it's considered "naughty" to post the same question in multiple forums. It's actually the thread starter that should be doing the apology.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by djtravtrav
    thank you very much, yes I have seen the help, it is nice.

how do I change my host list for debian then, i chose it during the net install of the os. how do I access that list again and try something else?
    Your host list is available in /etc/apt/sources.list IIRC.