Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i'm trying to get bluej installed in ubuntu breezy with no luck so far. it installed perfectly in hoary, but it doesn't want to work in breezy. here is the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

can't install bluej

i'm trying to get bluej installed in ubuntu breezy with no luck so far. it installed perfectly in hoary, but it doesn't want to work in breezy. here is the output:

Code:
    jnev@breezy:~$ sudo java -jar bluej-205.jar
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassFormatError: Installer (unused data before end of file)
       at java.lang.VMClassLoader.defineClass(java.lang.ClassLoader, java.lang.String, byte[], int, int, java.security.ProtectionDomain) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
       at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(java.lang.String, byte[], int, int, java.security.ProtectionDomain) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
       at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(java.lang.String, byte[], int, int, java.security.CodeSource) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
       at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
       at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(java.lang.String, boolean) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
       at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
       at java.lang.Class.forName(java.lang.String, boolean, java.lang.ClassLoader) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
       at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
    i already installed j2sdk1.4.2_09. i really have no idea why it won't install. it worked fine in hoary, but for some reason it doesn't seem to like breezy. i need this app for school, so please don't suggest me to use eclipse instead (i alreayd have it and like bluej more).

thanks

Linux Newbie
    can anybody help me??

I found something similar over at the BlueJ wiki:

http://wiki.bluej.org/BluejProblems#gcj

If this is the case, your java command may be a symlink for your "gcj" command. What's the output of
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    ?

Also, you may wish to use the BlueJ Support Request Form:

http://www.bluej.org/help/supportform.html

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Code:
    jnev@breezy:~$ echo $PATH
    /usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
    the wierd thing is that it worked perfectly in hoary and i didn't have any installation problems. now for some reason it hates breezy...

Hmm...

Okay, yes, the problem is definitely that you're using gcj and not java. You are 100% sure that you installed Java Sun on this computer? Also, why are you installing as root and not just as jnev?

Linux Newbie
    i have installed j2sdk1.4.2_09 and sun-j2re1.5. i tried deleting libgcj.so.6.0.0 but then trying to isntall bluej gave me a different error. i wasn't really sure what i was doing, just trying it out. i've tried installing bluej in root and as a normal user. doesn't work either way.

my aim sn is jnevmtbx, i'll try to im you.

Woah nelly.

First, don't delete libraries. That's just a bad idea from the get-go.

Secondly, do you have both of those installed in Hoary? Because I'm wondering if it's using the 1.5 JRE, seeing that you have no SDK, and therefore using gcj?

What's the output of
    Code:
    java-config --list-available-vms
    ?

Linux Newbie
    i'm getting a command not found error with java-config, and no variations of it work either. i know i had jre and sdk (what's the difference?) installed in hoary, not sure about gcj. and you mentoned that i dont have an sdk installed, i do (or at least i think i do), it's j2sdk1.4.2_09. i did install it, just not sure if that's the sdk you were talking about.

JRE is the Java Runtime Environment. It allows for the execution of Java programs.

JDK is the Java Development Kit. It allows for the writing / compiling of Java code.

And yeah, I wasn't sure about the "java-config" command. It works in Gentoo, but I thought it may be a distro-specific thing.

Anyway, what I THINK is going on is that you are in the 1.5 environment, which is not an SDK. According to the BlueJ site, you NEED the SDK.

Try installing the 1.5 JDK and see if that fixes the problem.

Linux Newbie
    ok, somebody from another forum helped me fix the problem. i had to executes the command '/home/jnev/j2sdk1.4.2_09/bin/java -jar bluej-205.jar' to get it to install. from there it worked perfectly.

thanks anyways for your help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast