Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am curious as to where applications are usually installed...because I dont know where I should install my apps...lol...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

where do you usually install your apps?

I am curious as to where applications are usually installed...because I dont know where I should install my apps...lol

Linux Engineer
    By default they're installed in /usr/local. You can install them there or at /usr.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by serz
    By default they're installed in /usr/local. You can install them there or at /usr.
    lol, i didnt know that...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    A related question: if I install in /usr or usr/local, and then reinstall linux, will all the programs have to be reinstalled then as well? Can I install them in my home partition instead?

You could put /usr into a separate partition as well, and then you won't have to reintall them.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Thanks. Why didn't I think of that? (answer: perhaps because I'm a newbie...)
    This seems to be so convenient that it makes we wonder why this isn't recommended as the default. Are there any disadvantages with it? In terms of speed? Or in any other way?
    And: I assume that I'd have to make sure the new partition is mounted at startup as /usr through some combination of thirteen different commands in thirteen different config files somewhere in the /boot folder...? Or is there a neat KDe tool that will do it?

It is recommended a lot, but for people new to linux most people recommend they just have one partition with everything inside it -- for some people linux is different enough that any talk of extra partitions and editing configuration files would be too scary, and they might just give up completely.

I'm not sure what the disadvantages are, although I'm sure there are some.

All you'd have to do is edit one file -- /etc/fstab -- to let linux know that /usr, /home, /var, whatever are located on different partitions that should be mounted at startup. Don't be scared of configuration files
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Oh, I'm not scared of them - I love them, but there are so many of them... I have my head swimming in different locations (etc? usr? just learning the names takes some time)
    Thanks a lot anyway! I'll make another partition some day...

Linux Engineer

Just Joined!
    I install most regular programs in /usr
    and must huge ass programs in /opt
    sytem programs in /sbin
    and thats mainly because its how my distro does it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast