Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by ladymecha oh yeh right, like a common everyday user knows how to compile from source... Of course not, they wait for someone to put together a package ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by ladymecha
    oh yeh right, like a common everyday user knows how to compile from source...
    Of course not, they wait for someone to put together a package for their distribution. And for that package to be put on the distribution's repositories or mirrors. If I used a debian-based distro (and I do, though not much), I'd wait for OO to show up on the unstable repositories before installing it. A common everyday user usually doesn't care about the 'latest and greatest', they can usually wait for a while for the program. Which is actually good, because it lets non-common users find the bugs and report them before they bother common, everyday users.

Much more annoying are non-open source programs which also have linux versions, such as skype, since there's no possibility of making your own packages.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    but all that would be not supported, just look at this fron Open offices own mouth:
    Many Linux Distributions now include a version of OpenOffice.org in their own native package manager format (.rpm, .deb, etc.). These packages have been built and are supported by the distributions' own teams, not by OpenOffice.org
    in my eyes this is totally against the protocols of open source.... they are FORCING RPM!

in my eyes this is totally against the protocols of open source.... they are FORCING RPM!
    What are these "protocols" you speak of? Where is it mandated in the GPL or any other OSS license that in order for something to be "true to open source" it has to be released in twenty different package formats?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    well who said that OO had to be RPM only?

Maybe I will make my own office program, based off Abiword and compete...

Quote Originally Posted by OOo Site
    Many Linux Distributions now include a version of OpenOffice.org in their own native package manager format (.rpm, .deb, etc.). These packages have been built and are supported by the distributions' own teams, not by OpenOffice.org.
    If I am to take this correctly, they don't support the RPM version officially either...

Three things:
    1. I make a package manager, but I only officially support it in source/tarball form and my package manager's proprietary format. Are you going to go make your own package manager now?
    2. I'd love to see you try and do this.
    3. Stop trolling.

Linux Enthusiast
    Does it have a grammar checker yet? Because I'm still gonna use Microsoft Office until they add one. Are there at least some plans to add one?

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    Does it have a grammar checker yet? Because I'm still gonna use Microsoft Office until they add one. Are there at least some plans to add one?
    meh, grammer checker sucks imo. i'd always get "Fragment (Consider Revising)". that's like a teacher telling you that you messed up in a mock exam but isn't going to tell you how to improve o.0
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Engineer
    Even the best computer grammar checker will mess up your text horribly. Computers don't understand squat of language structure. Take my word for it.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    Quote Originally Posted by OOo Site
    Many Linux Distributions now include a version of OpenOffice.org in their own native package manager format (.rpm, .deb, etc.). These packages have been built and are supported by the distributions' own teams, not by OpenOffice.org.
    If I am to take this correctly, they don't support the RPM version officially either...

Three things:
    1. I make a package manager, but I only officially support it in source/tarball form and my package manager's proprietary format. Are you going to go make your own package manager now?
    2. I'd love to see you try and do this.
    3. Stop trolling.
    Agree. Some people...
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    bah...

OO made a mistake, plain and simple, and now its our job to correct it...
    somehow.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast