Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently have been having problems starting KDE. It will not start execpt in failsafe mode and if I use <alt>+<ctrl>+<f3> it will allow me to login as user, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems login into kde

I recently have been having problems starting KDE. It will not start execpt in failsafe mode and if I use <alt>+<ctrl>+<f3> it will allow me to login as user, but it will not start kde. When I type in kde at the command prompt it says the following:

xset: unable to open display ""
    xset: unable to open display ""
    xsetroot: ' '
    startkde: Starting up ...
    kdeinit: Aborting. $DISPLAY is not set.
    ksmserver: Cannot connect to x server
    startkde:Shutting down.
    startkde:Runnig shutdown scripts
    start kde:Done.

I can use my user account with the failsafe mode. But cannot login in any other mode at all. All it will do is keep resetting to the login screen. Kde will start from the console that comes up at the beginning of the failsafe but not in anyother way.

I understand some what how to use a command line but this is way over my head.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried "startx"?

Note: You may have to create a .xinitrc file.
    Just use your fav text editor to do this. After creating the .xinitrc file in your users home directory, put one line in there.

exec startkde

Note the period in the .xinitrc file.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Have you tried "startx"?

Note: You may have to create a .xinitrc file.
    Just use your fav text editor to do this. After creating the .xinitrc file in your users home directory, put one line in there.

exec startkde

Note the period in the .xinitrc file.
    I have done what you suggested, and it works, but it still wants to start the failsafe console up; however I can kill the console and the desktop doesnt die.
    And when I init 3 to kill X and try to restart X with startx it does the same thing. Atleast it is functioning again. I greatly appreciate your help.
    If I have any more problems I will post agian. But I will try to fix it from here. Thank You once again for your time and effort.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close