Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI my computer does not play AVI movies and the dvds I have downloaded mplayer but it does not install because there is some thing missing , Ido not know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

my computer does not play AVI movies

HI
    my computer does not play AVI movies and the dvds

I have downloaded mplayer but it does not install because there is some thing
    missing , Ido not know what it is

can you give me all the requirment which I need please

thank you....

You need to give us more information in order for us to be able to help you. First, what distribution of Linux are you using? (SuSE, Fedora, Mandriva, Debian, Ubuntu, etc) Also, what version of the distro? (4, 8, 9, 9.3, 10?)

Most major distributions do not ship with the ability to play AVI movies, DVDs or MP3s because the software needed to do this is copyrighted.

What is the exact message you're getting when you try to install mplayer? Have you considered xine instead? Are you using an RPM, TAR.GZ, or DEB file?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I use suse linux 9.1
    I am sorry ,I am new user
    I use this kind(TAR.GZ)
    but this is the message is shown

[ahmed@linux:~/Programs/MPlayer-1.0pre7try2> ./configure
    Detected operating system: Linux
    Detected host architecture: i386
    Checking for cc version ... not found
    Checking for gcc version ... not found
    Checking for gcc-3.4 version ... not found
    Checking for gcc-3.3 version ... not found
    Checking for gcc-3.2 version ... not found
    Checking for gcc-3.1 version ... not found
    Checking for gcc3 version ... not found
    Checking for gcc-3.0 version ... not found
    Checking for cc version ... not found

*** Please downgrade/upgrade C compiler to version gcc-2.95.x or gcc-3.x! ***

You are not using a supported compiler. We do not have the time to make sure
    everything works with compilers other than the ones we use. Use either the
    same compiler as we do, or use --disable-gcc-checking but DO *NOT* REPORT BUGS
    unless you can reproduce them after recompiling with a 2.95.x or 3.x version!

Note for gcc 2.96 users: Some versions of this compiler are known to miscompile
    mplayer and lame (which is used for mencoder). If you get compile errors,
    first upgrade to the latest 2.96 release (minimum 2.96-85) and try again.
    If the problem still exists, try with gcc 3.x (or 2.95.x) *BEFORE* reporting
    bugs!

GCC 2.96 IS NOT AND WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED BY US !

*** For details please read DOCS/HTML/en/users-vs-dev.html ***

Error: Bad gcc version

Check "configure.log" if you do not understand why it failed.
    ahmed@linux:~/Programs/MPlayer-1.0pre7try2>]

please help me

thanks.....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    First off, you're getting that error because you don't have gcc installed. You probably need make as well. Both of these can be installed with YaST off of your distribution CDROMs/DVDs.

SuSE uses the RPM package management system, so it would probably be easier for you to download an RPM of mplayer and install it using YaST rather than try to compile it from source (which is what you're doing now). Here's a place you might find the right RPMs:

http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=128
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    First off, you're getting that error because you don't have gcc installed. You probably need make as well. Both of these can be installed with YaST off of your distribution CDROMs/DVDs.

SuSE uses the RPM package management system, so it would probably be easier for you to download an RPM of mplayer and install it using YaST rather than try to compile it from source (which is what you're doing now). Here's a place you might find the right RPMs:

http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=128
    I wanted to thank you for your various posts helping the "newbies" to SuSE/Linux. I'm impressed with your sense of perspective.

I confess, after contributing for about two weeks, I'm tired and almost burned out trying to explain how to do some of the updates. I feel frustrated that even (what to me) is a simple explanation, can only cause more confusion. I think I'm pretty much ready to take a break from this forum for a while. While I consider myself pretty ignorant in Linux, I think I've been too close to it for too long, as some things that seem too obvious to me, are brand new concepts to the new linux users. I suppose that is natural, but its difficult to keep one's perspective in answering the same questions over and over and over. ... Anyway, I've seen a lot of your posts helping out newbies, your depth of knowledge is very good, and I just wanted to say "well done".

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    Anyway, I've see a lot of your posts helping out newbies, your depth of knowledge is very good, and I just wanted to say "well done".
    Thank you. We all need a break now and then. The other mods can tell you I'm not mister congeniality all the time. Take some time off, the users you help when you're well-rested will no doubt appreciate it.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

oldcpu:

I think you should give yourself more credit -- all in all, I think your posts (that I have read) were well thought out, very detailed, and exuded patience for/to those you were helping...

I realise that this thread is over a week old, but I was wondering if the original poster had any success installing mplayer?? As said by Techiemoe this can be installed through YAST, but first YAST must be set up in order to do this successfully.

First, go to this website to find instructions for how to add installation sources for YAST. Basically these are online sources of new software that you can use to update your system. NOTE: You'll only need the first half of this page (the part called "One time setup", you won't need to go beyond "Performing the Update".)
    Once you have done this then download the mplayer RPM -- it will be a file that ends in .rpm. Then right click on the downloaded file and go to "Install with YAST". After that it should just install with no intervention from you at all.
    After it's installed you should be able to start it by typing "mplayer" at the command line. But a lot of the time SUSE is smart enough to put it into the start menu for you -- Start->Multimedia->Video Player.

Let us know how you get on.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode