Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there anyway to set something up to continually log whether there is an internet connection or not? We're having problems with our ISP and I want to be able ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Detecting internet log file

Is there anyway to set something up to continually log whether there is an internet connection or not?
    We're having problems with our ISP and I want to be able to show the Tech when and for how long the internet was out. I want to know if there is some was to make a log file that lists the time it can't find a connection and when it can.
    Oh, I use FC4.
    Thank you.

if you are using a router/modem check the logs there

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    Only logs my router makes are the Web sites that users on your network have accessed or attempted to access. No dice through that but thanks anyway.

Just Joined!
    Ok, SO I thought of something, as I'm relitlvly new to the command line, is there a way to make a script that looks for a connection every 10 seconds or so and if it sees a change from the last try, it adds it to a log?
    What command would that be?

Interesting that you should ask - a couple of us are bashing out (eugh,pun) a script to do something similar in this thread. It will give you some ideas, but post back any queries you have here and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Just Joined!
    Thank you, this will really help. Just gotta figure something that should be pretty easy to find on google out, but I can do that tomorrow. I'll leave some results.