Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have a '.png' file, on which the result of doing a 'file' is 'Macbinary III data' or some such. i'm pretty sure there's a picture in there somewhere - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Macbinary

i have a '.png' file, on which the result of doing a 'file' is 'Macbinary III data' or some such.

i'm pretty sure there's a picture in there somewhere - is there any way of viewing it outside of using a Mac?
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

try right clicking the file & open with the Gimp, thats what i use

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Any and all graphic tools i've tried consider it a 'corrupt' image, Gimp included.

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

If it is corrupt then maybe the bytecode is damaged (at least). This may be why it is identifying it as a macbinary. It wasn't made on Windows was it? Occasionally I've had trouble with .png, it's when working with the gimp which I use in Windows (at work)and linux(at home). Windows is usually the one that's fussy though.

Nope, it was made on a Mac. Presuming it's damaged in some way, is there any way of restoring it?

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Silly questions perhaps, but...

Can you obtain another copy of the file? What type of media (floppy, cd, etc.) was the original file (where you got it) on? (I am assuming you did not down-load/up-load it, or you could just go get it again.) How/Where did you get the file? (I am not looking for personal information - rather, media/method/etc. - just assuming it did not magically appear on your hard-drive)

Do you have access to a mac? Can you see if you can view the file on a mac? (curruption test)

(Should I dare ask?) What is in the picture? Would you be willing to send it to someone (via 'PM') and let them do "surgery" on it to recover it? How big is the file?

For what it is worth, try loading it from 'kuickshow'...

I recommend having someone who owns a Mac open it for you and convert it to something you can open.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    I recommend having someone who owns a Mac open it for you and convert it to something you can open.
    Bryan
    A good solution indeed!
    (If you know someone who owns a Mac and will do that for you...)

Linux Enthusiast

Re: Macbinary

Quote Originally Posted by PsypherPunk
    i have a '.png' file, on which the result of doing a 'file' is 'Macbinary III data' or some such.

i'm pretty sure there's a picture in there somewhere - is there any way of viewing it outside of using a Mac?
    MacBinary is a format that puts the data fork and resource fork of a Mac file into one file in a specific way. Here are some programs that may expand MacBinary:
    * macutils
    * mcvert
    * stuffIt (expander)