Find the answer to your Linux question:
Good-Day everyone, i have just installed mandrake 10.1 am i'm trying to send mail from one user to another on the same machine. Unfortunately the mails are never received. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

postfix will not send or receive mail.

Good-Day everyone,
    i have just installed mandrake 10.1 am i'm trying to send mail from one user to another on the same machine. Unfortunately the mails are never received. I checked the log file and this is the error that I get.

Nov 14 23:40:36 linmail postfix/local[19264]: fatal: open database /etc/postfix/aliases.db: No such file or directory
    Nov 14 23:41:36 linmail postfix/smtpd[19310]: fatal: open database /etc/postfix/aliases.db: No such file or directory
    Nov 14 23:41:37 linmail postfix/local[19311]: fatal: open database /etc/postfix/aliases.db: No such file or directory
    Nov 14 23:42:37 linmail postfix/smtpd[19358]: fatal: open database /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db: No such file or directory
    Nov 14 23:42:38 linmail postfix/local[19359]: fatal: open database /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db: No such file or directory
    Nov 14 23:43:38 linmail postfix/smtpd[19407]: fatal: open database /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db: No such file or directory.
    I have tried evrything that I coulld think of with my limited knowledge. I would appreciate some help on this one.

Just Joined!

open database /etc/postfix/aliases.db error

run

postalias /ets/aliases
    postmap /etc/postfix/access
    postmap /etc/postfix/virtual
    postmap /etc/postfix/transport

then move the /etc/aliases file to /etc/postfix
    lastly run newaliases command and restart postfix

hope this solves you problem

Aliata David