Find the answer to your Linux question:
Has anyone been able to use a Linux IM client such as Gaim to connect to Microsoft Live Communications Server? I tried, unsuccessfully to use the SIP plug-in for Gaim....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux IM Client Connecting to Microsoft Live Communications Server (LCS)

Has anyone been able to use a Linux IM client such as Gaim to connect to Microsoft Live Communications Server? I tried, unsuccessfully to use the SIP plug-in for Gaim.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by thegabber
    Has anyone been able to use a Linux IM client such as Gaim to connect to Microsoft Live Communications Server? I tried, unsuccessfully to use the SIP plug-in for Gaim.
    The problem is that MS LCS implements a proprietary version of SIP.

libgaim does not yet support it.

I read some rumors that Ekiga in CVS, Minisip and could talk MS LCS SIP. I tried both several months ago without success. I have also tried running MS Messenger under Wine and Crossover also, no luck.

Ekiga and these projects may have progressed some, from my last look. If anyone makes any headway, please post here as the question from thegabber is the top ranked google query for "Linux Microsoft Live Communications Server".

I'd rather convince my company to switch to IRC or Wildfire Jabber than spend any more time figuring out how to deal with MS crap.

Just Joined!

Linux and LCS

Trillian can be used on Linux under wine. it can be then used to communicate with LCS server of microsoft.
    LCS plugin is available for trillian. but this plugin works only with trillian pro
    and this is shareware. ( basic version of trillian doesn't work with it )

LCS (SIP) plugin available for MIRANDA IM , you can give it a try to install on Linux using wine.

Best Regards,
    Navin