Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by rod2673 Hello All, I am a newbe in Linux and Gaim is not working for MSN so I was reading to install AMSN. I downloaded it, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Re: installing AMSN

Quote Originally Posted by rod2673
    Hello All,

I am a newbe in Linux and Gaim is not working for MSN so I was reading to install AMSN. I downloaded it, I extracted the zip and tar files. Now i see the files in the msn folder. The question is how do I make it to run? How do I install it? How can I see it on my Linux menu?
    I am using Redhat 8.0, Gnome.
    Thanks!
    Rod
    Look around a bit. Do an ls -al or something, and you'll see the README, HELP and FAQ files. Take a look and follow instructions. Amsn requires TCL, which can be obtained from http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/ (of course you could go to http://tcl.sourceforge.net/ and download the TCL source and compile it yourself but an installer is always easier). Download ActiveTcl, untar and un-gzip it and find the GUI installer (you may need to check out the README files for ActiveTcl too). Installation of ActiveTcl is pretty straightforward. You may need to reboot your system like I did before the TCL interpreter will work properly with Amsn.
    And of course, run the Amsn installer. It'll most likely install to somewhere like /opt/amsn-0.93/, so you can launch Amsn by /opt/amsn-0.93/amsn. It's possible that the installer may create a link for you so you just need to type amsn to start it.

Just Joined!

aMSN

So I downloaded amsn-0_94 for Fedora Core 2 and installed it but guess what: there is no folder with the name aMSN or MSN. There is a file called amsn but using ./amsn in a terminal display doesn't do anything. Double-clicking on the file and attempting to run it produces a flash of some sort on my screen that goes away as quickly as I flashes on.

What's up with that?

Just Joined!

Re: aMSN

Quote Originally Posted by shylock
    So I downloaded amsn-0_94 for Fedora Core 2 and installed it but guess what: there is no folder with the name aMSN or MSN. There is a file called amsn but using ./amsn in a terminal display doesn't do anything. Double-clicking on the file and attempting to run it produces a flash of some sort on my screen that goes away as quickly as I flashes on.

What's up with that?
    Hmmm...

1. Download amsn-0.94-linux-installer.bin
    2. Enter a terminal and allow yourself execution permissions using "chmod 500 amsn-0.94-linux-installer.bin"
    3. Type "./amsn-0.94-linux-installer.bin" and a graphical wizard appears to guide you through the installation
    4. "cd /opt/amsn-0.94" and then "./amsn"
    If that doesn't work, then make a symbolic link to /usr/local/ActiveTcl/bin/wish at /usr/bin/wish first (assuming you're using ActiveTcl and you install it at /usr/local/ActiveTcl/) using
    "ln -s /usr/local/ActiveTcl/bin/wish /usr/bin/wish" and try again
    5. If it works, from now on you can use aMSN via the desktop shortcut
    6. To start aMSN from the command line, do "ln -s /opt/amsn-0.94/amsn /usr/bin/amsn" and you will be able to start aMSN using "amsn" whenever you want

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

aMSN Thanks / Newer Problem

Thank you very much for the info. I have aMSN up and running like a breeze.

now I just have to figure out why php/mysql aren't communicating properly. The home page and most of the other pages show up, but for some reason I can't even log into the website on my box. when clicking a link to a product page, the browser flashes and I'm back to the home page. If anyone has heard of this, please let me know. I'm using the latest version of MySQL and php version 4.3.4-11 (yum can't update it for some reason or other). The links to the images are being pulled from the db so I know there's output. Strange days indeed.

Just Joined!
    i am installing the aMSN now..but somehow 2 files could not be located...

they are:

libtcl8.4.so
    libtk.so

so how do resolve this problem...sorri 4 being such a newbie

Just Joined!

aMSN

Hi bud.

If you could look up some info on 'yum' for the time being, it would be of benefit. The best thing you can do as a newbie is to research. I'll post the info on all that (including the aMSN install) tomorrow, but for now I've got some things to attend to. Just going to a website and downloading the rpm or tar file then installing it was not enough for me. I had to go elsewhere... perhaps it's something to do with FC2.

I know it sucks to wait, so I'm sorry for that.

Take care for now.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by valenti
    i am installing the aMSN now..but somehow 2 files could not be located...

they are:

libtcl8.4.so
    libtk.so

so how do resolve this problem...sorri 4 being such a newbie
    It looks like you might not have installed Tcl/Tk... try ActiveTcl which uses a GUI installation wizard to install Tcl.

Just Joined!

aMSN et al

Alrighty folks. I'm sure this will help. Go to this website:
    http://fedoraguide.org/fc2/fc2beginn...e.html#yumamsn

and have a peep. Everything you need to download/update/blah blah for your Linux/Fedora/Whatever should be there. you need to do 'yum' from a command line (terminal) but once you use it, it's just as easy as installing a program using Windows. If you didn't know this, You can also use 'yum' to install/update/upgrade most if not all of your software in Linux/FCx.

If you get stuck, let the community know and I'm sure we'll find a fix for you. Good luck.

Just Joined!
    hmm am i dumb or wad..wads 'yum'?

'yum' is a program in redhat and fedora whaich lets you download program rpm's and their dependancies, I think.

Read the link given by shylock and in terminal type
    Code:
    man yum
    to get more information;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast