Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, FC3 During running "mkisofs" to create ISO image, following problem has been encountered occasionally. Code: mkisofs: Operation not permitted. cannot open '/mnt/livecd/proc/kcore' Remark: "/mnt/livecd" is the partition on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Running mkisofs and iptables

Hi folks,

FC3

During running "mkisofs" to create ISO image, following problem has been encountered occasionally.
    Code:
    mkisofs: Operation not permitted. cannot open '/mnt/livecd/proc/kcore'
    Remark: "/mnt/livecd" is the partition on which the ISO image to be created.

Then the command exited. I have to stop iptables running then the problem gone.

Please advise what is the cause of this problem and how to fix it other than stopping iptables.

TIA.

BR
    satimis

Linux Newbie
    You shouldn't need to have proc mounted on the livecd directory when you're creating the ISO. That is, unless you want your current running processes to be remembered always and forever. And even if you do want that, it probably won't work. Make sure you have a clean mtab as well, and that fstab on the livecd mounts whatever you need mounted, too.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Linux Guru
    Hi sxeraverx,

You shouldn't need to have proc mounted on the livecd directory when you're creating the ISO
    After checking the notes taken down during building LiveCD. Having run;

# umount $LIVECD/proc
    after recompiled the kernel and exited chroot.

Make sure you have a clean mtab as well
    # cat /etc/mtab
    Code:
    proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    devpts /fake/needwrite/dev/pts devpts rw,gid=4,mode=620 0 0
    /fake/needwrite/dev/loop1 /usr squashfs rw 0 0
    "proc /proc proc rw 0 0" is there. Shall I deletd this line? I think the other 2 lines were generated automatically. Shall I removed them as well? However I need to mount the compressed file "usr.sqfs" as loop.

and that fstab on the livecd mounts whatever you need mounted, too.
    # cat /etc/fstab
    Code:
    proc           /proc          proc      defaults                           0  0 
    sysfs          /sys           sysfs     defaults                           0  0 
    devpts         /dev/pts       devpts    gid=4,mode=620                     0  0 
    shm            /dev/shm       tmpfs     defaults                           0  0 
    /dev/fd0       /mnt/floppy    auto      noauto,owner,kudzu                 0  0 
    usbfs          /proc/bus/usb  usbfs     devgid=14,devmode=0660             0  0
    Do I need to retain all lines here?

Furthermore there is another mtab;
    Code:
    # ls -al /etc/mtab 
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root 130 Nov 27 00:14 /etc/mtab
    # ls -al fake/needwrite/etc/mtab 
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root 130 Nov 27 00:14 /fake/needwrite/etc/mtab
    # cat /fake/needwrite/etc/mtab
    Code:
    proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    devpts /fake/needwrite/dev/pts devpts rw,gid=4,mode=620 0 0
    /fake/needwrite/dev/loop1 /usr squashfs rw 0 0