Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I had a difficult OpenOffice.org 2.0 installation after getting rid of OOo 1.1 . Now I get "Error loading BASIC of document" (with path) errors upon startup and/or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OOo errors, help with making a symlink

Hello all,

I had a difficult OpenOffice.org 2.0 installation after getting rid of OOo 1.1 . Now I get "Error loading BASIC of document" (with path) errors upon startup and/or save of documents. This doesn't affect the working of the program which goes just fine.
    However, I can't install new dictionnaries. Wizzard works fine but upon restart they don't appear.

It appears the two things are linked. Some googling and I found someone with the same problem who got it solved.
    As I understand the problem, because of old OOo installations the programs looks for components in (empty) directory
    Code:
    file:/usr/lib/openoffice
    which I found to be in directory
    Code:
    file:/opt/openoffice.org2.0
    The proposed solution is to symlink the two directories. My problem is... I don't know how to do that . I'm a complete newbie with linux and not a command line fanatic.
    I tried creating shortcuts with Konqueror (logging in as root to have permissions) but it doesn't work. As I understand, a "link to location" is not a symlink. = )

So, could anyone help me out ? How could I link the second directory to the first, so as to "fool" OpenOffice ?

Thanks for your answer !

Olivier.

As root, type the following into a terminal:
    Code:
    ln -s /opt/openoffice.org2.0 /usr/lib/openoffice
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help.

It didn't do exactly what I wanted - creating a virtual "OOo2.0" folder inside the old folder, and not directly its contents.
    So I symlinked the contents of the new directory and I obtained what I wanted.

Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem... It seems that OOo2.0 is looking for files that simply don't exist on my computer. I will look more into it as soon as I have some time.

Thanks anyway, now i know what a symlink is and how to do one = )

Olivier.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close