Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, so i am an old skool descent geek, and one of the other old skool descent geeks has been writing a port for descent 2 for linux., he did ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

program compilation problems (move accordingly)

ok, so i am an old skool descent geek, and one of the other old skool descent geeks has been writing a port for descent 2 for linux., he did an excellent job with the win32 version, but the linux i can't get the linux version to compile (make actually)

Code:
    ake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/share/d2x-xl/src/arch/ogl'
    if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../include -I../../arch/include -I../../main    -I ../../arch/linux/include -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -pipe -g -Wall -Wno-char-subscripts   -MT sdlgl.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/sdlgl.Tpo" -c -o sdlgl.o sdlgl.c; \
    then mv -f ".deps/sdlgl.Tpo" ".deps/sdlgl.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/sdlgl.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
    sdlgl.c:98:23: error: descent.xpm: No such file or directory
    sdlgl.c: In function ‘ogl_init_window’:
    sdlgl.c:99: error: ‘pixmap’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    sdlgl.c:99: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    sdlgl.c:99: error: for each function it appears in.)
    sdlgl.c:84: warning: unused variable ‘sm’
    make[2]: *** [sdlgl.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/share/d2x-xl/src/arch/ogl'
    make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/share/d2x-xl/src/arch'
    make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
    http://www.descent2.de/ is where you can find the source. unfortunately i still suck at compiling and such so i am hoping someone here can help me out with this.

thanks

fyre
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Is there a file called README or INSTALL within the source directory? Check those for notes.

It seems that you are missing a file called descent.xpm. Are you root during this part of the installation? (it looks like you're operating in /usr/share, which should be root-writable only).

Linux Newbie
    yeah i am root... you can see that from the # ... the file that is missing is not actually missing... which is the problem that i am having, i reviewed the .c file and it is looking for the file in the correct place, and the case is all correct, so i am just sort of baffled.

its probably really easy
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Just Joined!
    firefly (sorry, but typing your nick would break my fingers :P),

as I told you on the DBB, you are not using the most recent source code and make and config files.

The reason for the compilation errors is that you are compiling with an option that makes the compiler try to use an SDL image - which you probably don't have, so there is no descent.xpm the compiler could read to get the required declarations.

Please download the most recent source archive, unpack everything to your D2X-XL source folder, execute autogen.sh ('sh autogen.sh'), then run './configure --enable-release=yes'. Before starting a regular make run, please execute 'make Makefile clean' to make sure all object files and libs from previous compiler runs are deleted.

D2X-XL currently looks for the Descent 2 game data in /usr/local/share/d2x-xl.

If that doesn't help, come back.

Linux Newbie
    sorry dbb was down while they moved...

i got the newer source ... problem was that i had downloaded it but still extracted from the old archive.

make worked ... game works great, once i get it in the right directory

thanks deidel!

(guidebot is on crack tho ... need to talk to you about that )

vinyl is working on packaging your binary, my 0.25 d2x binary and the w32 d2x-xl and d2x with backup files as a w32/linux pkg and a very solid readme with directions... all at about 25mb

i have the ini /$HOME$/.d2x-xl but it doesnt seem to read it ... im probably doing something wrong there.

Just Joined!
    I will check the ini thing.

Current D2X-XL version is 1.5.28 (containing Mac OS X suitable code, yay!), but I haven't had the opportunity to update the source tgz file on my site. Find the most recent source code on http://www.descent2.de/resources/d2x-xl-unified-src.zip.

The "bots on crack" (heh) problem might be related to a bug in math() function of D2 (legacy function) and might be resolved in post 1.5.25 versions. Strangely enough, this bug does not show up on Windows, but on Linux and Mac OS X.