Find the answer to your Linux question:
i just installed the latest java (jre 1.5.0_06) in my machine (mandriva 10.2) but its not being detected by other applications, like with limewire, heres what i get when i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

JAVA not being detected

i just installed the latest java (jre 1.5.0_06) in my machine (mandriva 10.2) but its not being detected by other applications, like with limewire, heres what i get when i try to run limewire:
    Code:
    sh ./runLime.sh
    Java exec not found in PATH, starting auto-search...
    OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /usr/lib/  hierarchy
    You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from http://www.java.com
    ls: /usr/java/j*: No such file or directory
    OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /usr/java/  hierarchy
    ls: /opt/j*: No such file or directory
    OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /opt/  hierarchy
    java is currently installed in /usr/lib/java/ and it works perfectly with firefox. i think i need to set a path for limewire to detect java or something like that but i dont know how, can someone explain me how to do this?

Maybe create a symlink to one of the other locations where it is being looked for. Or maybe it's looking for /usr/lib/java instead of /usr/lib/jre 1.5.0_06. Wherever your jre 1.5.0_06 is, make a symlink from it to where the app looks for it, and name the symlink java. For instance, if jre 1.5.0_06 is installed in /opt, make a symlink from it to /usr/lib...

Code:
    ln -s /opt/jre 1.5.0_06 /usr/lib/java
    I had to do this so Azureus could find java and it worked perfectly.

EDIT: If I'm remembering correctly from my Mandrake days, there is, as you have posted, java already at /usr/lib/java. You would have to eliminate this if jre 1.5.0_06 is installed somewhere else and you make the symlink to /usr/lib/java.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    ok i dcided to reinstall java, now im 100% sure it in /usr/lib/java, it still works with firefox, and i also did another thing i found in another thread about PATH...$PATH, but when i run limewire it says this
    Code:
    sh ./runLime.sh
    Starting LimeWire...
    Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
    Suitable java version found [java = 1.5.0_06]
    Configuring environment...
    Loading LimeWire:
    after that, all i get is the limewire splash screen, but nothing else, hmm what could be wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by TONE1412
    after that, all i get is the limewire splash screen, but nothing else, hmm what could be wrong?
    Not sure. I've never used LimeWire. If you can't get it sorted, have a look at GTK-Gnutella. It never gives complaints when installing, and if I'm remembering correctly, it uses the very same networks.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by TONE1412
    Not sure. I've never used LimeWire. If you can't get it sorted, have a look at GTK-Gnutella. It never gives complaints when installing, and if I'm remembering correctly, it uses the very same networks.
    You are correct about the same network, and it's not a slow-ass java peice of ****.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!
    ill give it a try, limewire is causing a lot of problems, thank you everyone