Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I extract the .tgz version of Opera 8.51 and run the install.sh script, the program appears to install without any obvious problems: Files will be installed as follows: ----------------------------------------------------------- ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Opera seems to install properly, but does not start.

When I extract the .tgz version of Opera 8.51 and run the install.sh script, the program appears to install without any obvious problems:

Files will be installed as follows:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Wrapper Script : /usr/bin
    Binaries : /usr/lib/opera/8.51-20051114.5
    Plugins : /usr/lib/opera/plugins
    Shared files : /usr/share/opera
    Documentation : /usr/share/doc/opera
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Is this correct [ y,n,c | yes,no,cancel ] ?
    y

System wide configuration files:
    /etc/opera6rc
    /etc/opera6rc.fixed
    would be ignored if installed with the prefix "/usr".
    Do you want to install them in /etc [ y,n | yes,no ] ?
    y

It even creates an icon in the KDE menu for me. However, when I click it, the spinning hourglass and name appears in the toolbar ( as with other programs when they first start ) but unlike other programs, continues spinning for several seconds and then disappears. So then I try clicking on the executable "opera" in file:/usr/lib/opera/8.51-20051114.5, which does absolutely nothing.

I am using a full install of Slamd64 so I know the 32 bit compatibility libraries are installed, and the install script did not tell me I was missing anything, but perhaps either this program has some extra dependencies, or certain parameters that have to be uses, not included in the ( seemingly nonexistent ) documentation?
    Last edited by Dymitry; 12-26-2005 at 03:31 PM. Reason: omitted details.

The install script looks fine, but FYI if you are using a Slack .tgz file you should be able to install the proggy with the 'installpkg' command. In any case I don't see any errors with the output. Opera needs the openmotif and qt package to work properly if you are using the shared-qt build. Check to make sure those are on your system.

Also, start Opera from a terminal and look for error messages.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Linux Engineer
    Looking at the install script he's just using the standard package, no .tgz. I recommend you get a package from linuxpackages.net (or slacky.it), they certainly have the latest opera.

Opera needs QT, and lesstif is optional. Try launching Opera from the Konsole to see what it says.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ah, I meant to type the "tar.gz version", not "tgz version".

Both lesstif and QT were installed, however, so I will try the package instead.

Just Joined!
    If i remember corectly this has something to do with an executable opera-bin and a script opera. I think I just ran opera-bin and it worked. Try "find / -type f | grep opera".

Just Joined!
    Now this begins to make slightly more sense. I tried running it from a console and recieved the following message:

/usr/lib/opera/8.51-20051114.5/opera: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

A file of that name does exist on my drive, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Dymitry
    A file of that name does exist on my drive, however.
    That's what it is telling you. It needs the libqt3-mt (or equivilant) package. Or just install the static version of Opera as it will not complain about this missing library.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Linux Engineer
    No, it means it can't find Qt... So doublecheck you installed it.

Do $ ls /var/log/packages | grep qt to find out if Qt has been installed.

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    No, it means it can't find Qt... So doublecheck you installed it.

Do $ ls /var/log/packages | grep qt to find out if Qt has been installed.
    The OP is running a full install of Slamd64 with a KDE desktop environment. They have QT installed. This could be related to something unique to Slamd64 and would advise you use the static-qt version of Opera until it can be isolated.

Linux Engineer
    I agree with St Joe.