Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wanted to install the Java SDK (the 1.4.1 version) on my linux box. Since I can't reach the 'net directly from the box, I downloaded the RPM to my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Un-Stuffing a big file

I wanted to install the Java SDK (the 1.4.1 version) on my linux box. Since I can't reach the 'net directly from the box, I downloaded the RPM to my Mac in order to transfer.

The file is in .bin format, and Stuffit Expander (I have version 7.0) should be able to make it into a zip file or rpm or whatever. However, S.E. just quits when it sees the file. Maybe the file's being about 40 Mb is size is a factor.

I don't have a tool on linux that can decode MacBinary. Is there such a tool?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Linux Guru
    It isn't a MacBinary .bin file. I don't really know why they call it .bin, but it's really a unix shell script. Copy it to your linux box, chmod it and run it, and it will expand an RPM after you've agreed to the EULA.

Linux User
    the idea behind it was .bin for binary -- but sinc eunix doesn't enforce file extensions lots of people get lost on that...
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    Binary for me in that case would mean a binary executable. If I'm not incorrect, that's a shell script you download, isn't it?

Just Joined!
    Thanks Dolda2000!

I followed your directions and it worked.