Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Is there a GIMP plug-in that will allow me to see the various images within tabs so i don't have several on the screen at a time and so i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Tabs for GIMP ?

Is there a GIMP plug-in that will allow me to see the various images within tabs so i don't have several on the screen at a time and so i won't have to mess with the taskbar to see each? Something similar to how firefox handles websites, but within GIMP and its images.

Thanks in advance

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, that would be nice but I'm not sure if it exists, or not. If it helps, GimpShop can put all the windows together, but I don't know if it has any tabs capabilities:

http://www.gimpshop.net/

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Yeah, that would be nice but I'm not sure if it exists, or not. If it helps, GimpShop can put all the windows together, but I don't know if it has any tabs capabilities:

http://www.gimpshop.net/
    thanks for the link...i looked around and see that there's only an rpm for it. is there anyway to turn that into a tar.gz or anything usable by arch? i looked for an "rpm2......" program in the arch repositories and didn't come up with any thing.

thanks in advance

oz
    forum.guy

Linux Enthusiast
    thanks...i'll look into that. i've always had difficulty getting gimpshop to work though...i'll just keep playing with it and see if something comes of it

Linux Enthusiast
    ok i've run into a slight problem here after putting this into my custom repostiroy and following the instructions from the pacman manpages. here's the error i get:
    Code:
    [root@computer ~]# pacman -S gimpshop

Targets: gimpshop-2.2.8-1

Total Package Size:   13.5 MB

Proceed with upgrade? [Y/n] y

checking package integrity... done.
    loading package data... load_pkg: missing package info file in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/gimpshop-2.2.8-1.pkg.tar.gz

[root@computer ~]#
    how do i fix this? thanks in advance!

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure what steps you are taking to install, but here's the way I install package builds from AUR:

go to AUR, find the desired package

click on the link where it says "tarball" to download

extract the tarball (this should create a directory)

enter that directory (cd to that directory)

type "makepkg"

after it compiles, you should have a file ending in .pkg.tar.gz

install that file with pacman using the following command:

'pacman -A filename.pkg.tar.gz'

installation should now be complete

Linux Enthusiast
    thanks, that worked. i tried adding it to the custom repository. i downloaded the source file and the PKGBUILD file and put them in their respective places and followed the instructions at the bottom of the pacman manpages, but it didn't seem to work.

the instructions stated:
    USING YOUR OWN REPOSITORY
    Let's say you have a bunch of custom packages in /home/pkgs and their respective PKGBUILD files are all in /var/abs/local. All you need to do is generate a compressed package
    database in the /home/pkgs directory so pacman can find it when run with --refresh.

# gensync /var/abs/local /home/pkgs/custom.db.tar.gz

The above command will read all PKGBUILD files in /var/abs/local and generate a compressed database called /home/pkgs/custom.db.tar.gz. Note that the database must be of the form
    {treename}.db.tar.gz, where {treename} is the name of the section defined in the configuration file. That's it! Now configure your custom section in the configuration file as
    shown in the config example above. Pacman will now use your package repository. If you add new packages to the repository, remember to re-generate the database and use pacman's
    --refresh option.
    thanks a lot

now, how would i uninstall something from the way you told me? just curious, in case i'd like to in the future

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm pretty sure this should do it:

pacman -R package-name

If that doesn't work, check the package readme file to see if there are any special removal instructions.

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm pretty sure this should do it:

pacman -R package-name

If that doesn't work, check the package readme file to see if there are any special removal instructions.
    that works...thanks a lot. i just assumed since it was installed differently that pacman wouldn't see it, but it does.

thank you so much for your help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast