Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I have a computer here. Two harddisks. The second is a datadrive with one big NTFS partition. The first drive has two ntfs partitions (1 and 2) and a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

grub doesnt load the menufile

Hello.
    I have a computer here. Two harddisks. The second is a datadrive with one big NTFS partition. The first drive has two ntfs partitions (1 and 2) and a ReiserFS partition with an old suse following a swapspace.
    I had to alter the menu.lst of grub because I wanted the default timeout to be shorter than it was.
    I didn't managed vi to do what I want (having no table of commands, it's pretty hard). So I used a gentoo livecd with nano. The editor I'm used to. I deleted one entry of the bootmenu and I shortened the timeout. I saved the file. I'm pretty sure, I made no mistake with the menu.lst.

Then I booted the system and there was only a grub-console. I was able to boot windows out of that, but I would like it with a menu, of course. Also loading the menufile manually didn't work. The black console all the time.

Could it be because the menufile was saved in mac-format? I have pretty no idea ehy exactly no menufile is used by grub.

Greetings
    Maweki

Just Joined!
    Finally I put the files onto a floppy converting them in windows to unix-formats and everything worked fine.
    Thanks for reading