Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Has anyone sucessfully made Fetchmail -d 300 command run on Boot up in RH8? I have made a S11Fetchmail script and put it in ALL rd*.d folders, but fetchmail ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Fetchmail Bootup

Hello,
    Has anyone sucessfully made Fetchmail -d 300 command run on Boot up in RH8?
    I have made a S11Fetchmail script and put it in ALL rd*.d folders, but fetchmail still doesent run.
    When it boots and i do "ps -ef |Grep fetch or Mail" It shows no active fetchmail commands, other then the Grep one...
    can anyone explain this?
    Cheers,
    Nathan

I thought Fetchmail ran and then quit? I didn't know it stayed resident and ran as a daemon. You can run it using cron, at regular intervals - I vaguely remember doing that when I had an odd pop3 configuration for my email.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    i run it on debian by linking /etc/init.d/fetchmail to /etc/rc3.d/S99fetchmail and writing the config in /etc/fetchmailrc. at one point in fetchmailrc you need to have set daemon 300. it works for me this way, but you might have to tweak this a bit to suit rh8.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by marlowe
    i run it on debian by linking /etc/init.d/fetchmail to /etc/rc3.d/S99fetchmail and writing the config in /etc/fetchmailrc. at one point in fetchmailrc you need to have set daemon 300. it works for me this way, but you might have to tweak this a bit to suit rh8.

The Fetchmail Daemon runs indefently when you run
    Code:
    fetchmail -d 300
    And checks every 300seconds(5Mins)
    But when i put it in several different places in different scripts it doesent run at all
    Cheers,
    Nathan

Just Joined!
    in your first post you say that you can't get fetchmail to run in rh8 at boot, as a daemon. i told you what you should try in order to make it start at boot as a daemon. why would you want to "put it in several different places in different scripts"? please be more specific.

Linux Newbie
    I dont understand what you are trying to get me to do. What do u mean by "link"?
    Sorry for the confustion and late post.
    cheers,
    Nathan

Just Joined!
    Code:
    ln -s /etc/init.d/fetchmail /etc/rc3.d/S11fetchmail
    that's what i mean by linking ..i should have said that the first time. any way, what you need to do is run the command above and write your fetchmail config file to /etc/fetchmailrc.try that and post again if you're still having problems.