Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a server aplication that I can install that will allow Windows Remote desktop client to connect with my Linux server. I am runnig Fedora Core 4 and Samba ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Remote Desktop from Windows to Linux

Is there a server aplication that I can install that will allow Windows Remote desktop client to connect with my Linux server. I am runnig Fedora Core 4 and Samba Server curently if that helps.

VNC is the only one i've used, but got it to work.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Linux Enthusiast
    You will need to set up the VNC server on your Linux machine and use a VNC client (not your MS Remote Desktop client) on Windows.

Another option is NX, which is like VNC but faster.

Cool

Which is better VNC or NX? I'm looking for something reasonably secure, but it doesn't have to be air tight. Faster is better, so NX sounds good there. But I also want something pretty easy to setup and use. Any ideas would be apreciated.

tib
    Just Joined!

NX is better to me

I have used three remote control programs,
    XWin32 (not free, requires XDMCP service at server)
    VNC (free)
    NX (free server program, free windows client, search "freenx")

So far I am very impressed by the speed of NX especially when I connect to my working computer at my office. I am using a normal cable connection. It is intolerable to use XWin32 and VNC at home, but NX lets me feel like using a local computer! Of course, the price for this speed is that server's CPU usage is up for doing compression, caching...

Another beauty is that you can choose to close current window but server will keep running your program then you can retrieve your session back at any time later...

It is fair secure because it uses SSH service and SSL encription. Wow am I advertising it?

Question

I use VNC extensively with my work computers and until now, never knew of NX. With VNC, I can log into the :0 instance of VNC and see exactly what is taking place on my secretary's Fedora machine. Can you also do this with NX?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux User
    Ive tried both and the native X. I tend to find freenx is superior in speed especialy over internet conections. Also free nx encrypts the sessions as standard, along with the ability to support multiple clients.

Theres a NX client for windows availible free of charge from nomachinenx

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Can you also do this with NX?
    Not that i know of, basicaly when you use freenx for every conected client it creates a seporate session for them. Basicaly think X windows but encrypted and works better over limited net conections. Tib mentioned you can save your session but i know if the session can be opened on the X window of the client
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Just Joined!

Re: Remote Management

hi,

There is VNC server in ur Fedora 4 just start it's services and u need a vnc viewer on ur window system. through that u can remotly manage ur linux server

Quote Originally Posted by hallen
    Is there a server aplication that I can install that will allow Windows Remote desktop client to connect with my Linux server. I am runnig Fedora Core 4 and Samba Server curently if that helps.