Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Can someone please help me with this? I really don't know what happened, as this was my first time using it on this install (I've had it working fine in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Exclamation OpenOffice 2.0.1 problem...can't backspace or move with arrow keys in Writer

Can someone please help me with this? I really don't know what happened, as this was my first time using it on this install (I've had it working fine in the past installs and I don't think i did anything special this time).

The keys that don't work are anything but the letter/symbol keys and the number keys (ie: arrow keys, backspace, insert, delete, home, end, page up/down,...). These keys all work outside of Openoffice without any problems though.

(EDIT) - More problems that I've had with Openoffice: it freezes if I open Writer then open a ".doc" file; it also freezes when I try to exit any of it's programs (writer, calc, draw,...). i have to force them to quit

Can someone please help me with this? I really need to get Openoffice working for school.

Thanks in advance!

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure how much I can help but wanted to let you know that all those keys are working fine on my Arch/OO-2.0.1 box. Don't have any .doc files to test with, but exiting system works fine, too.

Is there a keyboard option in the OO settings you can play around with?

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Not sure how much I can help but wanted to let you know that all those keys are working fine on my Arch/OO-2.0.1 box. Don't have any .doc files to test with, but exiting system works fine, too.

Is there a keyboard option in the OO settings you can play around with?
    I'm at school now, but I'll check into it when I get home.

It worked fine in my past installs (arch)...that's what really has me lost. This and gnome (for users other than root) both have been hit and miss for me. This time, Gnome works fine but OO is giving me trouble. I'm not sure exactly what I did different.

I even checked to see if there are other versions available by commenting out all repos other than current and extras, uninstalled OO, refreshed databases and reinstalled it...but it's the same version as I had before with the same problem.

I have an idea though....I have this program, numlockx (turns on numlock when X is started) that I recently started using. I'll stop it from starting to see if there's any difference (though I doubt there will be as these keys all work fine otherwise) but it's worth a try atleast. I need OO to work soon

Thanks a lot for your reply . It's giving me some ideas atleast (I messed with it late last night and didn't have much time to see what's wrong).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by josolanes
    I have an idea though....I have this program, numlockx (turns on numlock when X is started) that I recently started using. I'll stop it from starting to see if there's any difference (though I doubt there will be as these keys all work fine otherwise) but it's worth a try atleast.
    If it's not that, perhaps it's some other proggy causing keyboard conflicts. It certainly sounds like a good place to start looking, anyway. Good luck with it...

Linux Enthusiast
    If it's not that, perhaps it's some other proggy causing keyboard conflicts. It certainly sounds like a good place to start looking, anyway. Good luck with it...
    Hmm...so, i tried disabling it and that didn't help any

It still freezes a lot (another example: if i open oowriter than open a document from within it, it freezes).

I've been getting a lot of internal errors with it. Does anyone have any clue why or what might be causing it?

Thanks in advance!!

Linux Enthusiast
    i know this isn't really a solution (more a workaround) but i just deleted the user and recreated it and it seems to work well now. idk what exactly went wrong...

i've had so many user-related problem...recreating it just seems to solve a lot lol

oz
    forum.guy
    Glad you got it going, but are you saying that you deleted just your .openoffice.org2 folder, or you deleted your entire /home/user directory?

Linux Enthusiast
    Glad you got it going, but are you saying that you deleted just your .openoffice.org2 folder, or you deleted your entire /home/user directory?
    i deleted the whole /home/user directory. i'm really not sure how that fixed anything but it did. everything works perfectly now

do you have any idea why/how that might have fixed it or what the problem might have been? is there an easier/better way to fix something like this?

I'd like to avoid having to do this in the future, as I'm not sure if it's a specific folder in the user's /home/user directory that was causing problems or something configured for that user elsewhere...so finding a better solution would be nice so i don't have to delete the user's /home/user directory each time this shows up (though this rarely shows up at all)

thanks a lot for your help/ideas

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure, but something must have been corrupted I suppose.

Yes, I've had to delete the home folder a few times in the past, but like you prefer not to do that. I know you said you were having multiple user issues, so you might be better off doing just what you did, but I'm wondering if you could have deleted just the hidden .openoffice.org2 folder to clear up those OO.o2 issues?

Linux Enthusiast
    Not sure, but something must have been corrupted I suppose.

Yes, I've had to delete the home folder a few times in the past, but like you prefer not to do that. I know you said you were having multiple user issues, so you might be better off doing just what you did, but I'm wondering if you could have deleted just the hidden .openoffice.org2 folder to clear up those OO.o2 issues?
    that was my guess also...if this arises again in the future, i'll try that to see if it works.

thanks again for your help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast