Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok I wanted to install limewire in my new arch install so I first installed java runtime environment with 'pacman -S j2re', then downloaded the zip from the AUR and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing Limewire in Arch.

Ok I wanted to install limewire in my new arch install so I first installed java runtime environment with 'pacman -S j2re', then downloaded the zip from the AUR and unzipped it. It is now in ~/LimeWire, and java is in /opt/java. Then, when I clicked on runLime.sh in the ~/LimeWire directory, it did not run, so I moved java and limewire both to /usr/bin, which the same results. I tried limewire in /opt/limewire, and I also tried java in ~/java..and nothing has worked.

Note: I have installed limewire successfully only a few weeks ago on Arch, just by installing j2re and then unzipping limewire.

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks.

Don't click on the runLime.sh file. Run it from the CLI.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

I fixed it, I just had to edit the runLime.sh file and point it to /opt/java. Thanks anyway!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I find that Arch puts stuff in weird places sometimes. When I used pacman to get the flash plugin and the mplayer-plugin, I had to move the libs to a different folder. Pacman put them in /opt/mozilla-plugins while they were needed in /opt/mozilla/lib/firefox-1.5.0.1/plugins.

Anyway, glad to hear you got it fixed.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Yes, I had that problem with the flash-plugin too, and I had to move it also. But Arch is so fun and it isn't cluttered at all, it's linux the way it should be.

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't run limewire at all and have stopped using flash altogether so can't comment on either of those, but I do agree that the uncluttered feel of Arch makes using Linux lots of fun, and it's just easier than it is with so many other distros.

ozar
    oz