Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
just want to ask IF after having the new version of firfox 1.5, do i still need to remove my old version? ? or will the new one just patch ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

FIREFOX users

just want to ask IF after having the new version of firfox 1.5, do i still need to remove my old version? ? or will the new one just patch the older one?
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

As far as I know the new version is a patch. There's a log file somewhere in your FF directory which lets you know which patches have been applied (oddly enough I was reading mine last night ... But not for entertainment!)

It works well because it 'remembered' all my old bookmarks and settings, but it might be worth backing up/exporting those just in case. There are quite a few bug fixes in the latest version (for security and stability).

Having installed FF 1.5.* there are no new directories so I suppose it must be a patch.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    i just installed it on my dad's computer and it was a standalone install...no patching requierd. it just read the old .mozilla folder (or whatever it's called) and used the old settings and bookmarks. the only thing was that mandriva still used the old install as the default browser, but that's easy to fix

Something worth mentioning (and I wasn't going to) is that the new install broke embedded Java and Realplayer support. I haven't managed to fix this yet, even by providing soft links to library files.

If you depend heavily on Java support in your browser (chat rooms etc.) you might want to be aware of that one.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    hmmm so its more of being a patch.. m still in d process of donwloading it..coz m just using a prepaid connection.. thanks guys..
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Linux Newbie

FIREFOX 1.5 usERS

who among here are USING already the new FF 1.5? did you remove the old version? (OR after installing, it just automatically replaced the old one?)

thanks..m a bit confused..

I installed 1.5 about 3 weeks ago. If I remember correctly, I think I just installed the rpm and the new one was in place. It seemed to function like a patch to me.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by icedtea
    who among here are USING already the new FF 1.5? did you remove the old version? (OR after installing, it just automatically replaced the old one?)

thanks..m a bit confused..
    It worked both ways for me, although I usually prefer to remove the old one first.
    oz

Linux Newbie

uninstalling old FF version

sir cn u help me on HOW to uninstall the old version?

Can this be straightened out?

Okay, I'm a total newbie with Linux. I'm starting with a virginal install of EasyLinux (alias ELX; it appears to be a Fedora derivative), ELX includes Firefox 1.0; which naturally wants to upgrade itself. SO, I go to Mozilla update, something I've done dozens of times on my Wintel machines. It detects I'm in Linux this time, no problem. Downloads w/o a hitch.

I now am the proud owner of a *.tar.gz file, which my KDE doesn't know how to handle. So, I RTFM and figure out how to unzip it. That gives me the whole package. What am I supposed to do with that?! I Search and find the current package in /usr/lib. I think "Hey, seems to be like Windows 3.1, maybe if I just copy everything from the tar file into /usr/lib, It'll work." Well, of course it didn't work, it just quietly fails without even issuing an error message. The shortcut EasyLinux placed on the KDE desktop isn't working anymore, either.

I am able to use FF1.5.0.3 (at this very moment, even!) by executing the untar'd version in my /home/username/downloads, but...on to the REAL question...how do I fix it for the rest of the system, and hypothetical future other users? I don't need to worry about preserving old profiles or bookmarks, there are none, but any suggested proceedure ought to cover that for completeness' sake.

the ubuntu forums wiki offers some useful techniques re FF1.5.x, but references a command "dpkg-divert" that doesn't exist in my distro.

Note: I can't use sudo for some reason, any operations I need root access for will be done as root.
    Last edited by Xheralt; 05-05-2006 at 02:32 AM. Reason: typos and situation update

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast