Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installation directories

Hi,
    This will probably seem like a bit of a noob question, but I was wondering if there are specific directories where programs should be installed. Just for example, I recently downloaded the linux version of Firefox, and I installed in into /usr/Firefox because I read somewhere that /usr is for "secondary software file hierarchy." Also, once I've got it installed, how would I make it available in the main menu under Internet?
    I'm using Fedora Core 3, if that makes a difference in answers.

Thanks in advance

always use the yum to install the sfotware or install the fedora binary rpm packages, this will install in the default directories and will be avaliable from the menu.

So if I were to install a game like Quake, or anything I download, like NetBeans for Java, I would use "yum"? I'm not exactly familiar with it so that's why I'm not sure. So far I've just been kind of guessing where to put stuff.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    it took me a while to figure the same thing when i had just switched over. i have been so used to "/program files" last several years. From what i understand though, there are several places you can put things, its best just to pick one place, and stick with it so you know where things are. /usr/local/ is the one i use.

Also, once I've got it installed, how would I make it available in the main menu under Internet? I'm using Fedora Core 3, if that makes a difference in answers.
    for kde, you can right click the "start" icon (you know what i mean) that pops up the menu, then there should be something like "edit menu" or "options".. its simlilar to windows-- you can just do "add program" and tell it to be listed under internet, point it to the program, and pickout an icon.

one last note- if you like to use the "run" command alot like i do.. you can make your programs work with this command by creating a symbolic link to the executable in either /bin/ /sbin/ /usr/bin or one of those folders. the command to make the link is "ln -s /source/file /symbolic/link" i believe.

gl