Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can someone please recommend a program that rips asx video streams? I don't care what it rips them as, i just need it to be usable on the computer I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Need a program to rip asx video streams

Can someone please recommend a program that rips asx video streams? I don't care what it rips them as, i just need it to be usable on the computer

I've been searching for a while but came up empty handed. I had found a program to do this earlier but I don't remember where I found it or the name of it...the other one ripped asx video streams to asf format. I'm asking for this because I recently reinstalled linux on my machine and forgot to jot down the name of the program before hand

Thanks in advance!

Linux Enthusiast
    ok..so i made a mistake and found it was a .wmv stream

for any who are interested, i used mencoder, something that came with mplayer...the video player

i used this command:
    Code:
    mencoder [url-to-wmv-file] -o [output-file] -oac pcm -ovc raw
    you can have other options instead of pcm for audio encoding and, likewise, something other than raw for video encoding. do a google search for further information on this. i used pcm and raw to keep it simple and to keep the quality very close to the original quality online.

Linux Enthusiast
    the script i was originally looking for is called "mmsrip"

it works really well. the command looks like this:
    Code:
    mmsrip -o FILE URL
    where FILE is the output file to save as and URL is the url address of the streaming video file

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close