Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking for an application that can work to change a user's password from an X window. The problem I am facing is that this program can not rely ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

passwd replacement - password changing utility

I am looking for an application that can work to change a user's password from an X window. The problem I am facing is that this program can not rely on qt or kde libraries, is also can not be a cgi program.

Is anyone aware of such a program?

Hmmm, what about xterm? Nice and generic.

Code:
    xterm -e passwd
    DT

Just Joined!
    Trust me I would love that option, but requirements dictate that is must be in an X window application.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry, I'm not getting it. Xterm(or even more primitive variants) are xwindows apps...it's on all xwindows systems. What am I missing?

DT

Just Joined!
    I should have been editing that last post as soon as I hit submit reply.

Sorry about that.

xterm and it's variants certainly are x programs. I need to further explain my needs.

My "customer" would like a program that looks and feels like kdepasswd, but without the reliance on kde. They also don't want this program to be run in any type of "console" environment (xterm or variants).

Rather then redevelop the wheel, I would rather find my "customer" a package that has already been written to handle their needs. I would have to think that a program of this nature has been written in the past, so I would rather find a package that can already fulfill their needs without the need for my development time.

Ah, I see. Well, one option could be to use "dialog" - it won't handle the password portion inherently, but it handles the X GUI, it's standard XWindows, and while you'd be running it from a shell script(which would manage the password part), the user wouldn't be exposed to a console and thus couldn't wreak havoc. As far as the end client is concerned, it's a utility. dialog even comes with a --passwordbox parameter.

Does that pass?

DT

Just Joined!
    This one might be a tough sell to them, they may still think it looks too much like a "console" application.

You have to love porting an antique of a system. They had a motif program that wrapped this functionality for them, but no source code to go with it.

Thanks for your tips.