Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im brazilian and I am having a small problem with squid. we need to make a computer running windows be able to execute the command tracert any ip (obviously this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

tracert + squid in a windows workstation

Im brazilian and I am having a small problem with squid.
    we need to make a computer running windows be able to execute the command tracert any ip (obviously this computer is behind a rh9 server with squid as proxy server).

Does somebody know how i can do this, we have already recompiled squid, and liberated all the access we thought could have a relation with this, but we got nothing. Does somebody know what can be done, in order to allow the client to execute the command.

Linux Guru
    It is proberly not squid causing the problem, squid is a HTTP proxy, tracert/traceroute has nothing to do with HTTP.

What happens when you perform a traceroute?

Jason

Just Joined!
    it show a result for the route until the proxy, and after the proxy it shows other routes without name and unreachable.

Linux Engineer
    as far as i know, traceroute works on a similar protocol to icmp pings, except it senmds out small TTL's so that each server in turn will drop the request then send a failure notification back.

Im not sure this will work with squid since i dont think it forwards pings and/or drop packet notifications.

i think u might need some sort of NAT setup rather than a proxy server.

Linux Guru
    Indeed; traceroute sends UDP packets with varying TTLs, and since that has nothing whatsoever to do with HTTP, squid won't even know that they're there. Like Hellmasker says, NAT is probably the best solution.

Just Joined!
    I am not sure if I understood, but, basically it is a DNS problem? please correct me if I am wrong.

Linux Guru
    No, DNS has nothing to do with it.

The problem is that squid only passes HTTP traffic through, and traceroute traffic obviously isn't HTTP. You need some other kind of proxy to pass traceroute packets. The only real way to do it is to set up the proxy as a NATting router. There are lots of documentation at http://www.netfilter.org/ if you decide that is what you want. However, you should be aware that if you enable NAT, all other kind of traffic will be routed as well.

Just Joined!
    I will take a look at this.
    Thank you.