Find the answer to your Linux question:
How would I convert png to jpeg? what program could i use? is there a command available to do this? thanks in advance! josh...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

PNG to JPEG....how?

How would I convert png to jpeg? what program could i use? is there a command available to do this?

thanks in advance!
    josh

ImageMagick, (there is an Arch package for it) will do it, using either convert or mogrify.

convert foo.png foo.jpg

(When you install it, take a look at the docs--it's a pretty incredible program actually, it can also resize and various other things.)

To clarify, when you install ImageMagick, you don't call it with ImageMagick, it's more a suite, consisting of various tools--display, for instance, will display most graphic files. Using display you can do some simple editing as well.

At any rate, short answer to your question, ImageMagick, and use the convert function as given above.

Linux Enthusiast
    wow..thanks a lot! that's exactly what i wanted!

You're quite welcome. It's a very handy program.

We made some changes in how we store images and one of my graphics people freaked out--she thought she was going to have to manually change over 1,000 images. She was quite relieved when I said, "Don't worry about it," and did a simple for loop that changed them in a few minutes.

Depending upon how much graphics work you do, it's really worth deeply investigating the program--there's a heck of a lot you can do with it on the command line. It also enables graphical editing, but with its command line tools you can not only change format, but change density, size, etc. etc.

See
    http://software.newsforge.com/articl.../04/29/1358220

(That's the second article in the series, with a link to the first one.)

It sounds like you've worked it out but just in case...

KDE also includes a 'Convert to' entry in it's 'Action' context menu for images that converts among various formats.

And of course there're always the gimp.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

Just Joined!
    Although you solved your problem you could just open it in GIMP and save it as a new file as a JPEG and then delete the png file.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pajamabama
    It sounds like you've worked it out but just in case...

KDE also includes a 'Convert to' entry in it's 'Action' context menu for images that converts among various formats.

And of course there're always the gimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta_Dude12
    Although you solved your problem you could just open it in GIMP and save it as a new file as a JPEG and then delete the png file.
    thanks for the gimp suggestions...i did that originally, but i just wanted a quicker way to do it....a command line command is exactly what i wanted

thanks to all of you for your help!