Find the answer to your Linux question:
wassup people!! I've just installed realplayer 8 for linux from the realplayer website but I am unable to find the icon within gnome to launch the application!! I've already checked ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

realplayer installation problems!!!

wassup people!!

I've just installed realplayer 8 for linux from the realplayer website but I am unable to find the icon within gnome to launch the application!! I've already checked within the gnome panel and it's not there and I can't seem to find the launch file through the terminal. This may actually sound a little silly but

1. Where is the launch icon or what do I have to do to launch realplayer ?
    2. And how do I uninstall realplayer if I actually wanted to?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Personally, I don't trust RealPlayer at all. IMHO, it's bloatware, adware, non-free software and also kind of buggy. How did you install it? Did you download an RPM file?

Try MPlayer from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/ instead. It is likely to work better, except you won't be able to seek within RealPlayer files.

Just Joined!
    hey Dolda2000!!

yea i know realplayer sucks for llinux, and i just gotta realize that like a few hours ago, that's after i installed it into my linux and now i cant really get it out coz i don't know how to!!!!!
    How did i install it? i just went to the realplayer website and there'a a link there that says to d/l it so i did.
    Besides, there's another thing as well, when i sometimes wanna play streaming videos on the net, it usually requires realplayer or worse windows media player which beats the whole purpose of going open source after all if i end up using windows media player!!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Oh, don't worry about ending up using Windoze Media Player - you can't anyway. It's not like M$ will ever port anything to Linux... ;-)

In any case, what kind of file was it that you downloaded? Was it an RPM or some kind of stupid installation script (corporations usually name these ".run" or similar for some arcane reason), or was it something else? Also, what distro are you using?

Streaming video should not be a problem. There is an MPlayer plugin for Mozilla available at http://mplayerplug-in.sf.net/. Please mind me saying "should", though. It usually works for me and all that, but some sites are really kind of some sort of black magic that it cannot handle.

Just Joined!
    Hey Dolda2000

I downloaded an rpm file from the realplayer website and installed it through that. Now come to think of it, there is an rpm command which let's me uninstall the rpm file if i need to doesnt it? And I'm running red hat linux 9 with the kernel upgraded to 2.4.22.

Thanks for the mplayer ti[....i'll definitely try that. Do you know the sites and whether mplayer has an rpm file as well coz i'm not sure bout installing stuff without the rpm file.

thanks !!!!!

Linux Guru
    Yes, there is such a command. "rpm -e packagename" will uninstall the named package. I don't know what the package was called, though, so I can't help you with that part.

Linux Engineer
    my guess at find the package woudl br
    rpm -qa|grep -i rp
    and i that doesnt show it up
    rpm -qa|grep -i real

chances are one of those 2 will give u the package name. the do what dolda said to remove it.