Find the answer to your Linux question:
What's the most reliable and successful way to copy a DVD in Linux. I use K3b but when I try to create an ISO from a DVD movie, it creates ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DVD Copying

What's the most reliable and successful way to copy a DVD in Linux. I use K3b but when I try to create an ISO from a DVD movie, it creates an oversized file (over7GB) that obviously can't be burned. I'm guessing that the movie is using some type of encryption that is giving me such a huge file. Would I be better off doing a 1:1 copy from a DVD reader to my DVD burner?

Tnx.

bd

Linux Guru
    I wouldn't bet that's it. Most movie DVDs actually are 6-7 GBs, since they are dual-layer disks. DVD-Rs are usually single layer disks, which is why they only are 4.7 GBs.

Just Joined!
    Boy was I mistaken. I have heard of multi-layerd DVD's but assumed they were rarely used. I guess the ablility to make a 1:1 copy of a DVD movie is out. Unless you want to encode to a different format.

Once again Dolda, thanks.

bd

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Actually, that is how many people do to copy DVDs; they reencode them so that the quality is somewhat lowered. I don't have much experience in the area, but check out mencoder that comes with mplayer.

Just Joined!
    I don't know what to use in Linux or if it can be done in Linux.
    But it is easy to do in Windows. :o
    You can use DVDXcopy or DVD Dycrypter and Instant Copy.
    There are numerous ways to get a 1-1 DVD copy.

I will try to install some software via CrossOver Office in Linux and see if it will run.
    I really do not think it will.

Linux Guru
    Like I said, mencoder is probably the best way to reencode DVDs or other video media in Linux.

Linux Engineer
    yes use somethig like this: mencoder -dvd 1 filename.avi -oac copy -ovc divx4

i think this will give you an fairly well encoded divx of the movie.. if you want a raw copy then its something like mplayer -dumpstream -dvd 1 then you can just burn it onto dvd

check the man page for better help

Just Joined!
    just use dvd shrink or xdvdshrink