Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I need a program like msn messneger to use it on red hat linux 9.0 also plz i need the exact way of how to setup this program and use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help using msn on linux

I need a program like msn messneger to use it on red hat linux 9.0
    also plz i need the exact way of how to setup this program and use it
    Thanks in advnace

Linux Guru
    I believe that RH9 comes with gaim. You should find it in the program menu under "Internet" as "Instant messenger client", if I recall correctly.
    gaim allows you to use a multitude of protocols; it's capable to do MSN, ICQ, Jabber, Yahoo, Zephyr and more.
    When it first starts, it allows you to configure your accounts. Create a MSN account, enter the same email address that you give the Windoze MSN messenger as the Screenname and enter your nickname in the Alias box. Then it shouldn't be harder than connecting.

It is possible that RH9 comes with the older version of Gaim, though, which isn't really that swell. If you can't find your way, please open a terminal, run "gaim --version" and post back what version came with it.

Linux User
    There's several different clients you can use. The most like msn would have to be aMSN, which is pretty much an exact clone. You'll need the tcl/tk interpereter to be able to use it, but you can extract the tarball anywhere you like and the executable file will work from there, it requires no building. You can download it here http://amsn.sourceforge.net/ The other one you could use is GAIM, which has all the major IM clients rolled into one. You can download that at http://gaim.sourceforge.net

Just Joined!

thanks all

thanks both for replying me
    i will ave to switch to my linux os to try that then i will get to u back and let u know :d
    thanks again :d

Linux Engineer
    the ones ive had working

amsn (amsn.sf.net), just does msn... but doe sit very well
    gaim (gaim.sf.net), msn, icq, irc, practically everything, lacks fiel transfer support for most protocols.
    kopete (dont know webpage for this), support almost everythign but i only used it once jut to check it worked, im not sure why i bothered really.

Just Joined!

i tried gaim

i tried gaim but i cant use msn on it
    as it only have aim/icq in the protocols ??
    any more help ?
    gaim version is 0.59.8

Linux Guru
    Yeah, I thought so. Gaim versions before 0.60 are primitive in comparison. However, it's very easy to fix. Go to http://gaim.sf.net/, go to the downloads section, and you'll find neatly compiled RPMs for RedHat 9. Download the gaim RPM, not the gaim-devel one, install it, and you should find it much better.

Just Joined!

i tried amsn

i download it but i dont know how to extract it
    i have saved it ot /home/msn
    but i dont know how to go to this directory from the terminal
    so any one help with hwo to go to that directory form the terminal and how to extract it
    thanks

Just Joined!
    For Kopete : http://kopete.kde.org
    Kopete works well at home (I'm behind a Linux router/firewall) whith MSN file transfert, but not gAIM.
    I find that gAIM is a little bit more cute to use, but I prefer Kopete ro manage aliases.

Linux User
    /home/msn/amsn will launch the program.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast