Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Ubuntu which comes with Gnome, but I also wanted KDE, so I installed it using the multiverse and universe apt sources. Once KDE was installed, I wanted to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question aptitude removes things I don't want removed

I'm using Ubuntu which comes with Gnome, but I also wanted KDE, so I installed it using the multiverse and universe apt sources.

Once KDE was installed, I wanted to install Kaffeine, so I did aptitude install kaffeine, but it listed a ton of KDE packages that it was going to remove. However, when I ran apt-get install kaffeine, it did not try to remove these packages.

Why is aptitude trying to remove all these packages?

Just Joined!
    Aptitude has this thing about trying to remove packages that it thinks are "no longer used." My advice: use aptitude to scout out packages if you have to, but otherwise don't even bother. Install with apt-get, or just use synaptic in the first place.

I'm sure there's a real answer to this question, though, and I'd actually like to hear it. Also, seems like we're not the only ones who think this is odd.. http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg00026.html