Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is my first post here, so excuse me if I'm not following proper conventions. I am trying to author a DVD from a .avi file. I have converted the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

QDVDAuthor Commands missing

This is my first post here, so excuse me if I'm not following proper conventions.

I am trying to author a DVD from a .avi file. I have converted the file to a .mpg and even had luck authoring a menu-less DVD with Varsha (although I got an error when the program tried to make an ISO out of the video files - it still kept the "video-ts" folder so I was able to burn with k3b).

Now 'Q' DVD-Author seems like the program for me - it looks like I can make nice menues and even break the title up into chapters (much more than Varsha can currently do, I think). However, after I get everything all set up, I click on "Creat DVD" button, and a window pops titled "Command Queue Dialog". Reading guids on QDVDAuthor, I know that there should be a list of commands given here, to start dvdauthor, etc. But the spaces where the screenshots in the guids have those commands are empty in my window. I get the impression that these should be automatically filled in, but they are not for me.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Oscar.

Just Joined!
    I'm having the same problem -- I'm running SuSE 9.3 and have tried everything I could think of, but still nothing appears in the command queue dialog command fields. I was able to do a "File->Export dvdauthor (xml)" and then run dvdauthor to make the DVD, but that can't be right. Also, I'm having a problem using a still image (jpeg) as the menu background. The "Open" dialog (which opens behind the main program window BTW) will only show video files -- not pictures. This doesn't seem to be right according to a Linux Journal article "DVD Mastering Using QDVDAuthor" (December 2005).

Just Joined!
    The solution for me was to download and install then CVS version from the QDVDAuthor webpage (do a google search). This fixed the problem imediatly. Since then I have upgraded to SUSE 10.1, and when I installed QDVDAuthor for the first time through the repositories, it worked right off. So you may be able to just do that too. Hope this helps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks, that did the trick. Not only are the command fields populated, but the "Open" dialog opens on top of the main form, and allows me to select a JPG for the menu background as well! Now let me see if it will actually make a DVD...