Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Run "mplayer" in a terminal. If you want to run it from a run dialoug you will have to use "gmplayer" that will give you the gui. I strongly reccomend ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Run "mplayer" in a terminal. If you want to run it from a run dialoug you will have to use "gmplayer" that will give you the gui.

I strongly reccomend that you read the man page! In a terminal run "man mplayer"

I've found that often Mplayer won't work unless it is compiled with runtime cpu detection. This is not optimal, but it usually works. Somewhere in the Mplayer manual (towards the end I think) it mentions this. Can't remember exactly, but it's ./configure --enable-runtime-cpudetection.

This could be wrong, so please check.

I think Ogle is probably less hassle!!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Engineer
    In my experiance mplayer runs best when compiled for your own system. I have never had it fail to play a movie. BTW Ogle is for dvd's

That Mplayer manual is terrifying! It has all the relevant information in it, but IMHO most people just want to know how to compile it for their own systems (then it actually works like Variant says), and this is just a case of compiling in gui support, font support and getting it to recognise your cpu... Sounds easy, but it can be a pain in the bum.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    hi all thanks for the tip....i got it gog...thanks...

Just Joined!
    Someone please help me...I got an ADM64 and havent played a single movie on linux due to unavailability o w32codecs on linux. Someone please suggest me a way to get mplayer working. I have to switch to the satanic OS to watch movies.

Linux Engineer
    install the package ironicly named win32codecs, use google to find where from "mplayer win32codecs linux"

Just Joined!
    Isnt it so that w32codecs is available only for 32 bit architectures?

Linux Engineer
    you are correct, i neglected to think of that. However, there is a package called mplayer-bin which supports win32codecs on 64bit architectures, you can download it from here:

http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfile...re7-r2.tar.bz2

you will also need a version of win32codecs no older than win32codecs-20050412

Just Joined!
    I downloaded that file but no luck in installing/running. I am on FC4...should it work for me? If yes, how do I make it work?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast