Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi Folks... I want to run Mplayer so that I can run files that aren't Real Media files (eg. Mpeg, avi etc etc...you get the drift) My problem is that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mplayer - too complicated for a Noob!

Hi Folks...

I want to run Mplayer so that I can run files that aren't Real Media files (eg. Mpeg, avi etc etc...you get the drift)

My problem is that I don't know what the heck I need. I've been running (and supporting Windows for 8/4 years respectively) and am just used to downloading a single file, clicking install and running it! At this stage I'm having issues with my modem at home so I can't just jump on the net to grab whatever else I need. I have to burn stuff to cd at work then take it home)

Could someone tell me, from a reasonably new RH9.0 build what I need?

I went to the Mplayer site and it's file after file, source code, rpm, gui, codec yadda yadda yadda.

I just want a player, with a gui that will play these files and I don't want to spend hours hacking away at it!

Apparently there's some lib files needed and gcc files?

I have RH9 (Shrike) - what is Shrike?
    AMD 1200+ with 256MB Ram
    GeForce2 Video Card (64MB)

I so very much want to learn Linux - but it's so confusing!!

Thanks for your patience and help!

Linux Engineer
    Suggest you install Xine.
    I had virtually the same system as you and it works fine. I could never get Mplayer to work.

Follow the instructions here

http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I'll give it a whirl when I get home tonight!

I had attempted a Xine install, but floundered after getting frustrated (but the site you gave looks like it'll help lots!) and tried MPlayer...

Will let you know how I got on!

Just Joined!
    Ok, most of the install seemed to go ok (Xine). The codecs installed, the player (though I can't find the executable) but when I came to installing the gui I got an error message along the lines of:

Unable to locate dependencies:

LibXine1 > LibXine
    LibXine.so.1 >

blah blah.

Anyone know why the installer would install the app without error (by installed I mean using the installer gui) but am unable to install the Xine GUI?

I can find the directories it installed into /usr/local/shared/Xine

Thanks!

Chris B

Linux Engineer
    Did you install the libxine rpm at the site I linked to?

Open a terminal window and type rpm -q libxine*

...to see if it's installed.

I also found it's important to install just as it's written on that page, not using the gui package manager.

?? Did you install by the command line?
    Lansbury's Lido

Just Joined!
    Thanks Chris,

My bad - I missed the command line parameters!
    I will re-install each package.

You've been a big help, thanks again.

Chris

Linux Engineer
    Don't forget to uninstall them first.

rpm -e package_name

I had the same prob until I removed them and installed as per the instructions.
    Lansbury's Lido

Linux User
    Another media player that is much easier to get installed (all it needs is JRE) is vlan http://www.videolan.org/ . It won't play everything, but it's not bad.

You probably *are* better using Xine if you would like a good player with a nice graphical front end. One the other hand, I'm using Mplayer without a gui (fewer dependencies) and although it was a pain to get going, it does a good job on most dvds etc.

One trick is to compile it from source and do this with the right options. The manual is huge and scary and is probably a major cause of betwetting, but never mind. I can't remember all the relevant compile options, but the one that put it right for me was to do with --runtime-cpu (not the right syntax, but you get the idea). This is **not** optimal, and isn't good for a slow/old PC, but it works for me, and I have many happy evenings watching 'Gladiator' and 'Bound' without a gui. So it is possible to get working
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Engineer
    Not forgetting Ogle for a cheap & cheerful does what it says on the tin type of dvd player.
    Lansbury's Lido

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast